Alumni/ae Records, 1925 -- 2005
On this page:
Title: Alumni/ae Records
Dates: 1925 -- 2005
Bulk Dates: 1950 -- 1965
Creator: Miller, Russell E.
Call Number: UA023
Size: 9.25 Cubic Feet, 10 boxes
Permanent URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14634
Digital Collections and Archives, Tufts University
This collection contains general alumni information, as well as information about alumni councils, alumni days, alumni associations, and homecoming. Materials include photographs, brochures, pamhplets, meeting records, ledgers, and some memorabilia.
This collection is organized in two series: Alumni/ae; and Unprocessed accessions.
Russell Elliott Miller was a Professor of History, University Historian and Archivist of Tufts University, and author of "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts College from 1852 to 1952" and the second volume "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts University since 1952." He was born in Bloomington, Minnesota, on April 25, 1916, to one of the last pioneer families in the Minnesota prairie. His mother spoke Dakota Sioux, which she had learned as a child. He received a B.A. in Education in 1937 and an M.A. in political science in 1939, both from the University of Florida at Gainesville. From 1942 to 1946, he served in the Army Air Corps as an enlisted man, rising to the rank of technical sergeant. Initially with personnel and classification, he was finally assigned to the historical section (intelligence) at the headquarters of the troop carrier command. In 1948 he earned a Master of Arts in history from Princeton University and came to Tufts that same year.
In 1952 he received a PhD from Princeton, and in 1964 Tufts appointed him Professor of History and University Historian and archivist. He taught courses ranging from the history of western civilization to the history of the American frontier. In 1966, he published "Light on the Hill, A History of Tufts College from 1852 to 1952." That year he received the Distinguished Service Award from the Tufts Alumni Association and became an honorary member of Phi Beta Kappa. In 1975 he became the Walter S. Dickson Professor of English and American History and chaired the Department of History from then until 1980. He was voted Emeritus Professor of English and American History in 1981 and received an honorary Doctor of Letters degree in 1983. In 1986, he completed the second volume of Tufts history, "Light on the Hill II, A History of Tufts University since 1952."
Access and Use
This collection is open for research.
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see "Reproductions and Use" on the Digital Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish. Copyright to all materials created by Tufts University employees in the course of their work is held by the Trustees of Tufts University.
This collection is processed.
This material was collected by Russell Miller while preparing his history of Tufts University, Light on the Hill. All material was arranged by subject and no attempt was made to recreate original order.
This series contains general alumni information, as well as information about alumni councils, alumni days, photographs, alumni association information, and homecoming.