Londina Illustrata. Graphic and Historical Memorials of Monasteries, Churches, Chapels, Schools, Charitable Foundations, Palaces, Halls, Courts, Processions, Places of Early Amusement, and Modern Present Theatres, in the Cities and Suburbs of London and Westminster, Volume 2

Wilkinson, Robert
1819-1825

Inscriptions on the Coffin-plates of the Earl of Kilmarnock, Lord Balmerino, and Lord Lovat, who were executed on Tower Hill in the Years 1746 and 1747.

Inscriptions on the Coffin-plates of the Earl of Kilmarnock, Lord Balmerino, and Lord Lovat, who were executed on Tower Hill in the Years 1746 and 1747.

The Coffin Plates of the Rebel Lords, who were Executed on Tower Hill 1746 & 1747.

After the execution of the Rebel Lords, KILMARNOCK, BALMERINO, and LOVAT, their remains were buried in the Tower Chapel, very near the great door. For several years the exact spot of their interment was unknown, though, as has been said, it long continued an object of curiosity. A stone, cut with two ovals and one lozenge, was observed on the pavement of the chapel; but none understood its meaning, till a few years ago, when, on opening a grave in that spot, three Coffin-plates were found, inscribed with the names of these unfortunate Lords. The mystery of the stone was then developed; the two ovals denoted the interment of Lords Kilmarnock and Balmerino, and the square that of Lord Lovat. Not any trace of coffins or bones could be found; and Lovat's plate, which is of lead, is almost consumed with damp and time. The other two are of pewter.

It is observable, that the line drawn through the ovals appears to have ended there, and to have been subsequently lengthened for the addition of the lozenge. Lovat was executed some months after his ill-fated confederates.

Probably it will never be known who placed on their graves this hieroglyphic; a friend could scarcely have obtained the requisite access to the Tower Chapel; and the Government, if desirous to conceal the spot, had no occasion for any mysterious token.

 

After the execution of the Rebel Lords, KILMARNOCK, BALMERINO, and LOVAT, their remains were buried in the Tower Chapel, very near the great door. For several years the exact spot of their interment was unknown, though, as has been said, it long continued an object of curiosity. A stone, cut with ovals and lozenge, was observed on the pavement of the chapel; but none understood its meaning, till a few years ago, when, on opening a grave in that spot, were found, inscribed with the names of these unfortunate Lords. The mystery of the stone was then developed; the denoted the interment of Lords Kilmarnock and Balmerino, and the that of Lord Lovat. Not any trace of coffins or bones could be found; and Lovat's plate, which is of , is almost consumed with damp and time. The other are of pewter.

It is observable, that the line drawn through the ovals appears to have ended there, and to have been subsequently lengthened for the addition of the lozenge. Lovat was executed some months after his ill-fated confederates.

Probably it will never be known who placed on their graves this hieroglyphic; a could scarcely have obtained the requisite access to the Tower Chapel; and the Government, if desirous to conceal the spot, had no occasion for any mysterious token.

117

 
 
View all images in this book
 Title Page
collapseCourts, Halls, and Public Buildings
collapseSchools
collapseAlms-Houses, Hospitals, &c.
collapsePlaces of Amusement
collapseMiscellaneous Objects of Antiquity
collapseAncient and Modern Theatres
collapseTheatres
The Bull and the Bear Baiting,
The Red Bull Playhouse, Clerkenwell.
Fortune Theatre
Lincoln's Inn Fields Theatre
D'Avenant's Theatre Otherwise the Duke's Theatre, Little Lincoln's Inn Fields
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane
Destruction of Drury Lane Theatre by Fire
Opening of Drury Lane New Theatre
Theatre Royal, Covent Garden
The New Theatre Royal, Covent Garden.
Theatre Royal, Haymarket
New Theatre Royal, Haymarket
The King's Theatre, or the Italian Opera, Haymarket
Theatre in Goodman's Fields. The whole of Goodman's Fields was formerly a farm belonging to the Abbey of Nuns, of the Order of St. Clare, called the Minories or Minoresses, from certain poor ladies of that order; and so late as the time of Stow, when he wrote his Survey in 1598, was let out in gardens, and for grazing horses. One Trolop, and afterwards Goodman, were the farmers there. But Goodman's son being heir by his father's purchase, let the grounds in parcels, and lived like a gentleman on its produce. He lies buried in St. Botolph's church, Aldgate.
The Royalty Theatre, Wellclose Square
The Tennis Court Theatre, Bear Yard, Little Lincoln's Inn Fields
Olympic Theatre, Newcastle Street, Strand
Sadler's Wells.
The Pantheon Theatre, Oxford Street
Strand Theatre, the Sans Pareil
Astley's Amphitheatre, Westminster Road
The Regency Theatre. Tottenham Street Tottenham Court Road
The Cobourg Theatre
Royal Circus or Surrey Theatre
Lyceum Theatre, or English Opera, Strand.
Theatre in Tankard Street, Ipswich
Checks and Tickets of Admission to the public Theatres and other Places of Amusement.

Title page of Vol. 2 reads: Theatrum illustrata. Graphic and historic memorials of ancient playhouses, modern theatres and other places of public amusement in the cities and suburbs of London & Westminster with scenic and incidental illustrations from the time of Shakspear to the present period.

This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--Antiquities
London (England)--Description and Travel
Wilkinson, Robert, d. ca. 1825
Bolles, Edwin Courtlandt
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/53839
ID: tufts:MS004.002.057.001.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights