Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Anthony, Gardner Chace, 1856-1937

Anthony, Gardner Chace, 1856-1937

Professor Gardner C. Anthony, ca. 1900 Gardner Chace Anthony (1856-1937), M1890, H1889, H1905, served Tufts College as the first dean of the Engineering School. Anthony House, at 14 Professors Row on the Medford Campus, was Professor Anthony's residence during his lifetime and is named in his honor.

Anthony was born in Providence, Rhode Island, an area first settled by his ancestors, on April 24, 1856.He attended the English and Classical School of Providence, although failed to graduate due to poor health. In 1874, Anthony began work in the drafting room of the Providence Steam Engine company in preparation for his entrance to Brown University the following year. In 1877, he left Brown to pursue special studies in engineering at Tufts. Anthony then continued work in drafting rooms while he married Susie A. Pearson in 1879. They had one son.

He obtained his first teaching position at Rhode Island School of Design in 1885, where he was appointed Director of the Mechanical Department. Two years later, he founded the Rhode Island Technical Drawing School, and in 1889 assumed the principalship of the Pawtucket Evening Drawing School. He obtained a master's degree from Tufts in 1890.

Anthony maintained his positions in the Rhode Island schools until he returned to Tufts in 1893 as dean of the Bromfield-Pearson School and professor of Technical Drawing for the college. When the engineering courses at Tufts were organized into a separate school in 1898, Anthony became the program's first dean, holding the position until his retirement in 1927.During the thirty-four years he was affiliated with Tufts, Anthony worked to establish, organize, and promote the College of Engineering, watching its enrollment more than quadruple during his tenure. In 1921, following the death of his first wife, he married Ella Taylor. At his retirement, Anthony was made dean emeritus of the Engineering School.

Recognized as an authority on mechanical drawing and machine design, Anthony was active in several academic and engineering societies, including the American Society for Mechanical Engineers and the American Association of Arts and Sciences. He served as president of the Society for the Promotion of Engineering Education in 1913, having held the position of vice-president two years earlier. He published at least five books covering drawing, descriptive geometry and machine design, including the "Technical Drawing Series," and is also attributed with introducing the term "Graphics" to describe the various phases of drawing.

Anthony died on November 28, 1937, in New Rochelle, New York.

Source: VF; HTC, 142-144.

Subject terms: Anthony, Gardner Chace College of Engineering Bromfield-Pearson School People Alumni and alumnae Faculty College administrators Anthony House

Gardner Chace Anthony (1856-1937), M1890, H1889, H1905, served Tufts College as the first dean of the Engineering School. Anthony House, at 14 Professors Row on the Medford Campus, was Professor Anthony's residence during his lifetime and is named in his honor.

Anthony was born in Providence, Rhode Island, an area first settled by his ancestors, on April 24, 1856.He attended the English and Classical School of Providence, although failed to graduate due to poor health. In 1874, Anthony began work in the drafting room of the Providence Steam Engine company in preparation for his entrance to Brown University the following year. In 1877, he left Brown to pursue special studies in engineering at Tufts. Anthony then continued work in drafting rooms while he married Susie A. Pearson in 1879. They had one son.

He obtained his first teaching position at Rhode Island School of Design in 1885, where he was appointed Director of the Mechanical Department. Two years later, he founded the Rhode Island Technical Drawing School, and in 1889 assumed the principalship of the Pawtucket Evening Drawing School. He obtained a master's degree from Tufts in 1890.

Anthony maintained his positions in the Rhode Island schools until he returned to Tufts in 1893 as dean of the Bromfield-Pearson School and professor of Technical Drawing for the college. When the engineering courses at Tufts were organized into a separate school in 1898, Anthony became the program's first dean, holding the position until his retirement in 1927.During the thirty-four years he was affiliated with Tufts, Anthony worked to establish, organize, and promote the College of Engineering, watching its enrollment more than quadruple during his tenure. In 1921, following the death of his first wife, he married Ella Taylor. At his retirement, Anthony was made dean emeritus of the Engineering School.

Recognized as an authority on mechanical drawing and machine design, Anthony was active in several academic and engineering societies, including the American Society for Mechanical Engineers and the American Association of Arts and Sciences. He served as president of the Society for the Promotion of Engineering Education in 1913, having held the position of vice-president two years earlier. He published at least five books covering drawing, descriptive geometry and machine design, including the "Technical Drawing Series," and is also attributed with introducing the term "Graphics" to describe the various phases of drawing.

Anthony died on November 28, 1937, in New Rochelle, New York.

Source: VF; HTC, 142-144.

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights