Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Balch, Marston Stevens, 1901-1987

Balch, Marston Stevens, 1901-1987

Professor of Dramatics Marston Balch, ca. 1980Marston Stevens Balch (1901-1987), known as "Doc" to thousands of Tufts people, helped establish the university's Department of Drama and Speech and Tufts' reputation in the dramatic arts. During his thirty-five years on the Hill, Balch inspired generations ofstudents and faculty, teaching them that theater without intellect and compassion is inevitably theater without artistry and humanity.

A descendent of hardy "New England stock" who settled in Salem in 1636,Balch was born in Detroit, Michigan, on November 21, 1901.He matriculated at Kalamazoo College, where his father was head of the Department of History, in 1919.After graduating in 1923 with highest honors and a degree in English, Balch moved to the East to attend Harvard, earning a Masters of Arts in 1925, and a Ph. D. in 1931, both in English with a concentration in dramatic literature and in theater history. During his studies, Balch traveled extensively through England and France doing research on Elizabethan drama and English influences on French drama.

He began teaching as an instructor of English and theatrical director at Williams College in 1925.He also held similar positions at the Browne and Nichols School, The New England Conservatory of Music, Harvard, and Phillips Exeter Academy.

In 1934, Balch joined the Tufts faculty as assistant professor of English. The following year he also became thedirector of Drama, the executive director of the Tufts College Theater, and advisor to Tufts' Pen, Paint, and Pretzels. From 1935 to 1966, Balch directed and produced almost 100 plays, many of which he translated from French and were presented in the United States for the first time.

In 1940, Balch persuaded Tufts to take a leadership role in the arts by establishing the first Department of Drama and Speech in a New England. He served as the department's chairman, professor of Drama, and Fletcher Professor of Oratory for twenty-six years. Balch, however, did leave Tufts temporarily during this time to serve as chief of the French Press and Radio Analysis Section of the US Information Service and as chief of Cultural Relations Section under the Department of State during World War II.

Upon his return to the college in 1947, Balch directed his first full-scale production in the arena theatre configuration, which he had experimented with while he was in France. He was the first University Presenter at Tufts and from 1957 to 1969 served as chairman of the Arts and Sciences Faculty Committee on Academic Awards. He also served during his career at Tufts on the Committee on Administration Policies and the Programs Committee of the Graduate School. Balch retired in 1971, becoming professor emeritus.

Balch was married to Germaine Cornier, a native of France, who taught French at Tufts for twenty years, beginning in 1943.Their daughter, Gabrielle, J1950, is a Jackson College graduate. After Cornier's death in 1969, he married Roberta Blanchard in 1976.

As a result of his service to France during World War II, Balch was honored by the French Republic three times: in April 1946, he received a medal and honorary membership in the Association Des Professeurs Des Langues Vivantes; in 1947, the Medaille de la Reconnaissance Francais was bestowed upon him; and in May 1953, he was again distinguished by being a recipient of the Croix de Chavalier de la Legion d'Honneur.

Aside from translating an enormous body of work from French into English, Balch published at least forty scholarly articles, sixty articles for the Tufts University Theater publication, Prologue, and six books. He was a member of various organizations and societies related to the arts, including the National Council of Arts in America and the National Theatre Conference, of which he was Executive Secretary from 1961-1968.In 1966, he was the recipient of the Margo Jones University Award in recognition of his encouragement of aspiring playwrights. He also received an honorary doctorate by Kalamazoo College, his alma mater.

The Marston S. Balch Arena Theatre was named in Balch's honor in 1983, following the generous gift of one of his former students, Elizabeth Bottomley Noyce.

Source: VF, BG 7

Subject terms: Balch, Marston Stevens Noyce, Elizabeth Stevens Department of Drama Faculty of Arts and Sciences People Faculty Balch Arena Theater

Marston Stevens Balch (1901-1987), known as "Doc" to thousands of Tufts people, helped establish the university's Department of Drama and Speech and Tufts' reputation in the dramatic arts. During his thirty-five years on the Hill, Balch inspired generations ofstudents and faculty, teaching them that theater without intellect and compassion is inevitably theater without artistry and humanity.

A descendent of hardy "New England stock" who settled in Salem in 1636,Balch was born in Detroit, Michigan, on November 21, 1901.He matriculated at Kalamazoo College, where his father was head of the Department of History, in 1919.After graduating in 1923 with highest honors and a degree in English, Balch moved to the East to attend Harvard, earning a Masters of Arts in 1925, and a Ph. D. in 1931, both in English with a concentration in dramatic literature and in theater history. During his studies, Balch traveled extensively through England and France doing research on Elizabethan drama and English influences on French drama.

He began teaching as an instructor of English and theatrical director at Williams College in 1925.He also held similar positions at the Browne and Nichols School, The New England Conservatory of Music, Harvard, and Phillips Exeter Academy.

In 1934, Balch joined the Tufts faculty as assistant professor of English. The following year he also became thedirector of Drama, the executive director of the Tufts College Theater, and advisor to Tufts' Pen, Paint, and Pretzels. From 1935 to 1966, Balch directed and produced almost 100 plays, many of which he translated from French and were presented in the United States for the first time.

In 1940, Balch persuaded Tufts to take a leadership role in the arts by establishing the first Department of Drama and Speech in a New England. He served as the department's chairman, professor of Drama, and Fletcher Professor of Oratory for twenty-six years. Balch, however, did leave Tufts temporarily during this time to serve as chief of the French Press and Radio Analysis Section of the US Information Service and as chief of Cultural Relations Section under the Department of State during World War II.

Upon his return to the college in 1947, Balch directed his first full-scale production in the arena theatre configuration, which he had experimented with while he was in France. He was the first University Presenter at Tufts and from 1957 to 1969 served as chairman of the Arts and Sciences Faculty Committee on Academic Awards. He also served during his career at Tufts on the Committee on Administration Policies and the Programs Committee of the Graduate School. Balch retired in 1971, becoming professor emeritus.

Balch was married to Germaine Cornier, a native of France, who taught French at Tufts for twenty years, beginning in 1943.Their daughter, Gabrielle, J1950, is a Jackson College graduate. After Cornier's death in 1969, he married Roberta Blanchard in 1976.

As a result of his service to France during World War II, Balch was honored by the French Republic three times: in April 1946, he received a medal and honorary membership in the Association Des Professeurs Des Langues Vivantes; in 1947, the Medaille de la Reconnaissance Francais was bestowed upon him; and in May 1953, he was again distinguished by being a recipient of the Croix de Chavalier de la Legion d'Honneur.

Aside from translating an enormous body of work from French into English, Balch published at least forty scholarly articles, sixty articles for the Tufts University Theater publication, Prologue, and six books. He was a member of various organizations and societies related to the arts, including the National Council of Arts in America and the National Theatre Conference, of which he was Executive Secretary from 1961-1968.In 1966, he was the recipient of the Margo Jones University Award in recognition of his encouragement of aspiring playwrights. He also received an honorary doctorate by Kalamazoo College, his alma mater.

The Marston S. Balch Arena Theatre was named in Balch's honor in 1983, following the generous gift of one of his former students, Elizabeth Bottomley Noyce.

Source: VF, BG 7

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights