Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Bowen, Eugene Bucklin, 1855-1952

Bowen, Eugene Bucklin, 1855-1952

Eugene B. Bowen with Bowen Lion in front of Barnum Hall, ca. 1923

Eugene Bucklin Bowen (1855-1952), E1876, a faithful alumnus, gave many gifts to the college during his lifetime, including the Bowen lions outside Barnum Hall, Bowen Gate, and the Bowen Chimes.

Born in Adams, Massachusetts, on November 22, 1855, Bowen moved to Cheshire, Massachusetts, before entering high school. At Tufts, Bowen held the only remunerative position the college had to offer a student during his time as an undergraduate, ringing the old College Bell on top of Ballou Hall. He dreamed of one day providing Tufts with a new, larger bell. However, the Class of 1898 presented the college with such a bell at their tenth reunion, leaving Bowen to bestow alternative gifts on his alma mater. Bowen was also manager of the Tufts football team. After being one of fourteen men to graduate from the School of Engineering in 1876, Bowen briefly served as principal of the high school in Adams, Massachusetts, before returning to work in his father's hay and grain business.

A faithful attendant of Tufts' commencement exercises and alumni days, Bowen presented the college with a pair of lion statues to stand guard outside of Barnum Museum in 1923, and with Bowen Gate in 1925. He also provided the funds for the memorial tablets of Hosea Ballou and Austin B. Fletcher, one of his classmates, at the north entrance of Ballou Hall, while sponsoring the construction of the columned porch at that entrance. During alumni festivities, Bowen, a descendant of eleven Revolutionary War soldiers, would don the uniform of the color guard of the Massachusetts State Society, Sons of the American Revolution, and parade around the campus with a replica of the 1776 Bennington Battle flag.

In 1924, Bowen was made a life trustee of the college. The class of 1926 invited him to be an honorary member of their class, honoring him for his unwavering loyalty on the fiftieth anniversary of his graduation. He had been the organizer and past president of the Berkshire Tufts Club, in addition to his duties as a trustee. The same year, he gave his greatest gift to the school, a set of chimes to be played from the tower of Goddard Chapel.

Bowen died April 19, 1952, at his home in Cheshire, following a long illness. At the time of his death, he was the oldest living Tufts alumnus, and the only living member of the class of 1876.

Source: VF; TW, April 25, 1952; History of Music in Tufts College, 339; Afield with a Camera Bowen, A loyal Tufts Man, Melville S. Munro; Tuftonian, June 1952

Subject terms: Bowen, Eugene B. College of Engineering Berkshire Tufts Club People Alumni and alumnae Bowen Gate Bowen Lions Bowen Chimes

Eugene Bucklin Bowen (1855-1952), E1876, a faithful alumnus, gave many gifts to the college during his lifetime, including the Bowen lions outside Barnum Hall, Bowen Gate, and the Bowen Chimes.

Born in Adams, Massachusetts, on November 22, 1855, Bowen moved to Cheshire, Massachusetts, before entering high school. At Tufts, Bowen held the only remunerative position the college had to offer a student during his time as an undergraduate, ringing the old College Bell on top of Ballou Hall. He dreamed of one day providing Tufts with a new, larger bell. However, the Class of 1898 presented the college with such a bell at their tenth reunion, leaving Bowen to bestow alternative gifts on his alma mater. Bowen was also manager of the Tufts football team. After being one of fourteen men to graduate from the School of Engineering in 1876, Bowen briefly served as principal of the high school in Adams, Massachusetts, before returning to work in his father's hay and grain business.

A faithful attendant of Tufts' commencement exercises and alumni days, Bowen presented the college with a pair of lion statues to stand guard outside of Barnum Museum in 1923, and with Bowen Gate in 1925. He also provided the funds for the memorial tablets of Hosea Ballou and Austin B. Fletcher, one of his classmates, at the north entrance of Ballou Hall, while sponsoring the construction of the columned porch at that entrance. During alumni festivities, Bowen, a descendant of eleven Revolutionary War soldiers, would don the uniform of the color guard of the Massachusetts State Society, Sons of the American Revolution, and parade around the campus with a replica of the 1776 Bennington Battle flag.

In 1924, Bowen was made a life trustee of the college. The class of 1926 invited him to be an honorary member of their class, honoring him for his unwavering loyalty on the fiftieth anniversary of his graduation. He had been the organizer and past president of the Berkshire Tufts Club, in addition to his duties as a trustee. The same year, he gave his greatest gift to the school, a set of chimes to be played from the tower of Goddard Chapel.

Bowen died April 19, 1952, at his home in Cheshire, following a long illness. At the time of his death, he was the oldest living Tufts alumnus, and the only living member of the class of 1876.

Source: VF; TW, April 25, 1952; History of Music in Tufts College, 339; Afield with a Camera Bowen, A loyal Tufts Man, Melville S. Munro; Tuftonian, June 1952

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights