Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903

Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903

Lorin Low Dame (1838-1903), A1860, G1860, H1895, was a teacher and school administrator who served as principal of the Medford High School for almost thirty years and was a trustee of Tufts College from 1895 until 1903.Dame School, an elementary school in Medford on George Street near the Tufts campus, is named in his honor.

Lorin Low Dame was born in Newmarket, New Hampshire, on March 12, 1838.In 1846 the family moved to Lowell, Massachusetts, and he completed the full course of the public schools, entering Tufts in 1856.He graduated at the top of his class in 1860 and became principal of the high school in Braintree, Massachusetts the same year. In 1863 he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the Fifteenth Massachusetts Battery and saw active service in the gulf states and Tennessee. He was promoted to First Lieutenant and mustered out in 1865.In the years following the Civil War he was principal of high schools in Lexington, Nantucket, and Stoneham before being appointed principal of the Medford High School in 1876, a position he held for the rest of his life.

Dame served as a trustee of Tufts from 1895 until his death in 1903.He was awarded an honorary doctorate by Tufts in 1895 in recognition of his achievements in and service to the community.

Dame was an avid botanist in his spare time and published several books and numerous articles on the flora of New England, including Typical Elms and Other Trees of Massachusetts, published in 1890.

Dame died at his home in Medford on January 27, 1903.

Source: VF

Subject terms: Dame, Lorin Low People Alumni and alumnae

Lorin Low Dame (1838-1903), A1860, G1860, H1895, was a teacher and school administrator who served as principal of the Medford High School for almost thirty years and was a trustee of Tufts College from 1895 until 1903.Dame School, an elementary school in Medford on George Street near the Tufts campus, is named in his honor.

Lorin Low Dame was born in Newmarket, New Hampshire, on March 12, 1838.In 1846 the family moved to Lowell, Massachusetts, and he completed the full course of the public schools, entering Tufts in 1856.He graduated at the top of his class in 1860 and became principal of the high school in Braintree, Massachusetts the same year. In 1863 he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the Fifteenth Massachusetts Battery and saw active service in the gulf states and Tennessee. He was promoted to First Lieutenant and mustered out in 1865.In the years following the Civil War he was principal of high schools in Lexington, Nantucket, and Stoneham before being appointed principal of the Medford High School in 1876, a position he held for the rest of his life.

Dame served as a trustee of Tufts from 1895 until his death in 1903.He was awarded an honorary doctorate by Tufts in 1895 in recognition of his achievements in and service to the community.

Dame was an avid botanist in his spare time and published several books and numerous articles on the flora of New England, including Typical Elms and Other Trees of Massachusetts, published in 1890.

Dame died at his home in Medford on January 27, 1903.

Source: VF

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights