Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939

Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939

Dean Caroline Davies, n.d.

Caroline Stodder Davies (1864-1939) served as the first dean of Jackson College. She also was appointed Professor of Greek for the Jackson women during the brief period when academic segregation of the sexes was attempted at Tufts.

Davies was born in Methuen, Massachusetts on December 3, 1864. Her father, Samuel R. Crocker, was the founder and editor of the Literary World, the first journal of literary criticism in the country. She graduated form Wellesley college in 1887 and later attended Newham College, Cambridge University. She worked as an instructor at Harcourt Place Academy in Ohio, at various girls' schools in the Chicago area, and as headmistress of St. Peter's School in London. She was married to Rev. Owen John Davies, with whom she had two children. An active member of professional and scholarly organizations and advocate for women's suffrage, Davies was listed in the Woman's Who's Who of America, 1914-1915.Coming to Tufts to be dean when Jackson was chartered in 1910, she remained at the college for fifteen years. She resided at 72 Professor's Row, the designated residence of the dean of Jackson College. She resignedfrom her position in 1925 on the grounds of poor health.

In 1941, a women's dormitory at 13 Sawyer Avenue on the Medford campus was designated as Davies House in her honor.

She died at her daughter's home in Bedford, Massachusetts on February 14, 1939.

Source: VF

Subject terms: Davies, Caroline S. Jackson College People Faculty College administrators Davies House 72 Professors Row

Caroline Stodder Davies (1864-1939) served as the first dean of Jackson College. She also was appointed Professor of Greek for the Jackson women during the brief period when academic segregation of the sexes was attempted at Tufts.

Davies was born in Methuen, Massachusetts on December 3, 1864. Her father, Samuel R. Crocker, was the founder and editor of the Literary World, the first journal of literary criticism in the country. She graduated form Wellesley college in 1887 and later attended Newham College, Cambridge University. She worked as an instructor at Harcourt Place Academy in Ohio, at various girls' schools in the Chicago area, and as headmistress of St. Peter's School in London. She was married to Rev. Owen John Davies, with whom she had two children. An active member of professional and scholarly organizations and advocate for women's suffrage, Davies was listed in the Woman's Who's Who of America, 1914-1915.Coming to Tufts to be dean when Jackson was chartered in 1910, she remained at the college for fifteen years. She resided at 72 Professor's Row, the designated residence of the dean of Jackson College. She resignedfrom her position in 1925 on the grounds of poor health.

In 1941, a women's dormitory at 13 Sawyer Avenue on the Medford campus was designated as Davies House in her honor.

She died at her daughter's home in Bedford, Massachusetts on February 14, 1939.

Source: VF

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights