Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Department of Radiology, 1915

Department of Radiology, 1915

Tufts' medical school was the first in the country to include radiology in its curriculum. In 1915 Dr. Ariel W. George, M1906, first organized the radiology department, which at the rime provided students with thirty hours of lectures. Dr. Frederick O'Brien, an internationally recognized specialist in radiation therapy, succeeded Dr. George in 1922. In 1941 he in turn was succeeded by Dr. Samuel Robins, M1914, who expanded the teaching program into a one-month elective course.

Dr. Alice Ettinger, who had been responsible for establishing a radiology residency at the New England Medical Center in 1945, became chair of the department in 1959. A highly skilled radiologist and professor, she was honored with numerous teaching awards by her students. In 1966 Dr. Ettinger was succeeded by Dr. Robert Paul, a graduate of the Baylor University School of Medicine and a Tufts faculty member since 1957. Dr. Paul, the school's current chair, is also chief of radiology at the New England Medical Center. Under his leadership, the department has developed broad-based diagnostic services using the latest techniques and equipment. Its research has been primarily clinical.

When clinical clerkships were moved from the fourth to the third year in 1959, radiology lectures were eliminated from the curriculum. However, the department has remained active in student teaching, and correlative sessions are provided to first- and second-year students. Members of the radiology faculty including Drs. Robert Sarno and Barbara Carter have been frequently honored by students for their teaching efforts. The department continues to be affiliated with hospitals possessing outstanding radiology divisions, including the Boston V.A. Medical Center, the New England Baptist Hospital, St. Elizabeth's Hospital, the Lemuel Shattuck Hospital, the Faulkner Hospital, the Newton-Wellesley Hospital, and the Baystate Medical Center.

Source: COE, 156.

Subject terms: School of Medicine Department of Radiology Departments

Tufts' medical school was the first in the country to include radiology in its curriculum. In 1915 Dr. Ariel W. George, M1906, first organized the radiology department, which at the rime provided students with thirty hours of lectures. Dr. Frederick O'Brien, an internationally recognized specialist in radiation therapy, succeeded Dr. George in 1922. In 1941 he in turn was succeeded by Dr. Samuel Robins, M1914, who expanded the teaching program into a one-month elective course.

Dr. Alice Ettinger, who had been responsible for establishing a radiology residency at the New England Medical Center in 1945, became chair of the department in 1959. A highly skilled radiologist and professor, she was honored with numerous teaching awards by her students. In 1966 Dr. Ettinger was succeeded by Dr. Robert Paul, a graduate of the Baylor University School of Medicine and a Tufts faculty member since 1957. Dr. Paul, the school's current chair, is also chief of radiology at the New England Medical Center. Under his leadership, the department has developed broad-based diagnostic services using the latest techniques and equipment. Its research has been primarily clinical.

When clinical clerkships were moved from the fourth to the third year in 1959, radiology lectures were eliminated from the curriculum. However, the department has remained active in student teaching, and correlative sessions are provided to first- and second-year students. Members of the radiology faculty including Drs. Robert Sarno and Barbara Carter have been frequently honored by students for their teaching efforts. The department continues to be affiliated with hospitals possessing outstanding radiology divisions, including the Boston V.A. Medical Center, the New England Baptist Hospital, St. Elizabeth's Hospital, the Lemuel Shattuck Hospital, the Faulkner Hospital, the Newton-Wellesley Hospital, and the Baystate Medical Center.

Source: COE, 156.

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights