Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973

Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973

The Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, or UEP, was formed in 1973 as the Graduate Program in Urban, Social, and Environmental Policy.

In 1972, Frank Colcord of the Department of Political Science commissioned Hermann Field, of the Tufts-New England Medical Center Planning Office, to conceptualize an interdisciplinary graduate program emphasizing environmental sustainability and grassroots activism. The aim of the program was to combine work in environment with work in urban planning in order to broaden the skills and knowledge of graduate students working in the field.

The Program in Urban, Social, and Environmental Policy was granted trial status in 1973.The first class consisted of only nine students, and Field acted as the founding director. The faculty of the program included professors from the Departments of Political Science, Sociology, Economics, Biology, and Education. Three years later, in 1976, the Program in Urban, Social and Environmental Policy was formally accepted as a graduate program. Though it received little money from Tufts, the program had been awarded a total of $220,000 in federal grants by 1977. The program moved into the Brown House at 38 Professors Row in 1977.Construction on the new Campus Center, however, necessitated its relocation to 97 Talbot Avenue in 1983.The Program in Urban, Social and Environmental Policy established its first joint degree program with the Department of Civil Engineering in 1978.The following year, university trustees voted department status to the program, and its name was officially changed to the Department of Urban and Environmental Policy. Rob Hollister was named the first chair of UEP in January, 1980.

During the fall of that same year, UEP announced the formation of the Program in Public Policy and Citizen Participation, or PPCP, which would be administered in conjunction with the Department of Political Science. The Center for Public Services was established in 1986 as an umbrella organization to oversee both the UEP and the PPCP. It was dissolved in 1989, however, when the UEP and the PPCP merged.

UEP and the Fletcher School announced the formation of a three-year dual degree program in International Environmental Policy, the first of UEP's dual degree programs, in 1989.Three years later, UEP was ranked first in the country among urban masters programs, and was also leading the environmental and social track of the newly created undergraduate major in Environmental Studies. The same year, Hollister resigned as chair, and was replaced by Shelly Krimsky.

UEP received its largest grant to date in 1994, when the Alvin Levin Fellowship was formed in order to provide funding for a UEP female graduate student of color. UEP also launched in that same year a joint degree with the Department of Economics. Additionally, the department began to work collaboratively with the School of Nutrition, a relationship that ultimately resulted in the establishment of a dual degree program administered by both the UEP and the School of Nutrition in 2000.

As of 2001, UEP continues to operate out of 97 Talbot Avenue. It offers graduate degrees as well as certificates in Management of Community Organizations, Community Environmental Studies, and joint degrees with Economics, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Biology, and Child Development.

Source: UEP25

Subject terms: Hollister, Robert Field, Hermann Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Department of Urban and Environmental Policy Departments

The Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, or UEP, was formed in 1973 as the Graduate Program in Urban, Social, and Environmental Policy.

In 1972, Frank Colcord of the Department of Political Science commissioned Hermann Field, of the Tufts-New England Medical Center Planning Office, to conceptualize an interdisciplinary graduate program emphasizing environmental sustainability and grassroots activism. The aim of the program was to combine work in environment with work in urban planning in order to broaden the skills and knowledge of graduate students working in the field.

The Program in Urban, Social, and Environmental Policy was granted trial status in 1973.The first class consisted of only nine students, and Field acted as the founding director. The faculty of the program included professors from the Departments of Political Science, Sociology, Economics, Biology, and Education. Three years later, in 1976, the Program in Urban, Social and Environmental Policy was formally accepted as a graduate program. Though it received little money from Tufts, the program had been awarded a total of $220,000 in federal grants by 1977. The program moved into the Brown House at 38 Professors Row in 1977.Construction on the new Campus Center, however, necessitated its relocation to 97 Talbot Avenue in 1983.The Program in Urban, Social and Environmental Policy established its first joint degree program with the Department of Civil Engineering in 1978.The following year, university trustees voted department status to the program, and its name was officially changed to the Department of Urban and Environmental Policy. Rob Hollister was named the first chair of UEP in January, 1980.

During the fall of that same year, UEP announced the formation of the Program in Public Policy and Citizen Participation, or PPCP, which would be administered in conjunction with the Department of Political Science. The Center for Public Services was established in 1986 as an umbrella organization to oversee both the UEP and the PPCP. It was dissolved in 1989, however, when the UEP and the PPCP merged.

UEP and the Fletcher School announced the formation of a three-year dual degree program in International Environmental Policy, the first of UEP's dual degree programs, in 1989.Three years later, UEP was ranked first in the country among urban masters programs, and was also leading the environmental and social track of the newly created undergraduate major in Environmental Studies. The same year, Hollister resigned as chair, and was replaced by Shelly Krimsky.

UEP received its largest grant to date in 1994, when the Alvin Levin Fellowship was formed in order to provide funding for a UEP female graduate student of color. UEP also launched in that same year a joint degree with the Department of Economics. Additionally, the department began to work collaboratively with the School of Nutrition, a relationship that ultimately resulted in the establishment of a dual degree program administered by both the UEP and the School of Nutrition in 2000.

As of 2001, UEP continues to operate out of 97 Talbot Avenue. It offers graduate degrees as well as certificates in Management of Community Organizations, Community Environmental Studies, and joint degrees with Economics, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Biology, and Child Development.

Source: UEP25

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights