Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts HistorySauer, Anne
Department of Urology, 1910
Urology was first taught at Tufts in 1893 by Dr. J. Cushing Allison, who lectured to seniors. From 1895 to 1897 Dr. Fred S. Raddin instructed students in urology via lectures and demonstrations at the Boston Dispensary, and from the latter year until 1906 Dr. Gardiner W. Allen held this responsibility.
The medical school established a department of urology in 1910; Dr. Charles M. Whitney, whose later bequest provided for the establishment of a chair in urology, was named head of the new department. He later was succeeded by Dr. Arthur L. Chute in 1931, Dr. Harold A. Chamberlin in 1933, and Dr. Wyland E. Leadbetter in 1947. Beginning in 1933 it became customary for the chair of this department to also serve as chief of urology at the New England Medical Center.
In 1954 Dr. Burdick G. Clarke was appointed chairman: he subsequently initiated teaching programs at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, the Boston City Hospital, and the Boston Veterans Administration Medical Center. His successor, Dr. Henry M. Wise, was responsible for developing a special laboratory for the evaluation of patients with neuropathic bladder dysfunction, while Dr. Alan B. Retik, who served as chair of the department from 1967 to 1969, was instrumental in creating a program in pediatric urology that brought the division international recognition. During the tenure of Dr. StephenA. Mahoney, who was chairman from 1969 to 1974, a renal transplantation program was instituted at the New England Medical Center. When he left Boston in 1974, Dr. Robert Spellman became acting chair until Dr. Edwin Meares, the current head of the department, was named chairman in 1975. Dr. Meares is a well-known specialist on infectious diseases of the genito-urinary tract who has served on a number of national and international committees. A graduate of the Medical College of South Carolina, he trained in urology at Stanford. In 1989 he was presented with the Hugh -Hempton Young Award in honor of his contributions to the field. As chair of Tufts' urology department, Dr. Meares has developed a strong academic program that focuses on student teaching, research, and patient care. He also serves as the school's Charles M. Whitney Professor of Urology as well as the New England Medical Center's urologist-in-chief.
Source: COE, 160-61
The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.