Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts HistorySauer, Anne
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Henry Watson Dudley (1831-1906) was one of the seven original faculty members of the Tufts College Medical School and served as its first professor of Pathology.
Dudley was born in Gilmanton, New Hampshire, on November 30, 1831.He graduated from Gilmanton Academy in 1851 and went on to teach for eight years in high schools in two New Hampshire towns, Pittsfield Academy, and then in Culpepper, Virginia. He married the first of his three wives, Mary Ann Lougee, in 1854. They had five children together before her death in 1873. While working at Pittsfield, Dudley studied the rudiments of medicine under a local physician and attended lectures at Dartmouth College. In 1864, he finished his studies at Harvard University and opened a medical practice in Abington, Massachusetts which he maintained for the remainder of his life. In 1876, he married Priscilla Ellis, who died in 1888. Dudley married Sarah Marchant in the same year.
He joined the Tufts College Medical School faculty in 1893 as the professor of Pathology, a position he held for seven years before becoming Emeritus Professor in 1900. From 1901 to1906, Dudley was a lecturer on Legal Medicine and, as an instructor, delivered a series of lectures entitled "Morals in Medical Practice." Dudley died on December 29, 1906.
Very active in fraternal andmedical organizations, Dudley served as a Fellow and Councilor of the Massachusetts Medical Society. He also was a member of the group's Committee of Medical Ethics, working in 1881 with other notable physicians to establish a uniform standard for admission to the society. From 1890-1906, Dudley acted as the Medical Examiner for the second Plymouth District.
Source: VF, A History of Tufts College Medical School 1893-1943
The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.