Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Edward R. Murrow Center, 1965

Edward R. Murrow Center, 1965

The Murrow Center of Public Diplomacy was established in 1965 as a memorial to Edward R. Murrow, whose distinguished reporting and analysis of world news and imaginative leadership of the United States Information Agency set a standard of excellence in the field. The center sponsors professional workgroups, conferences and research travel grants, and conducts research in the fields of international communications, public diplomacy, and telecommunications technology and policy.

Edward R. Murrow is considered by many to be the exemplary twentieth century American journalist. His career in print, radio, and television news coincided with epochal events such as the bombing of London, the birth of the Cold War and the Kennedy Presidency. It was under President Kennedy that Murrow, after resigning from CBS, rose to his highest position in public life, as the first head of the United States Information Agency. USIA's mandate had been to tell the world about America and to establish people to people contacts in the interest of developing friendly and mutually beneficial relationships between the American people and the population of the rest of the world. Kennedy asked Murrow to head the USIA because of the tremendous respect and credibility Murrow had at home and around the world. Illness, however, cut Murrow's tenure at USIA short. After leaving USIA in 1965, Murrow accepted an invitation from the Dean of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Edmund Gullian, to head a Center for Public Diplomacy named after him. Gullian had previously coined the phrase 'public diplomacy' to describe the mix of cultural and student exchange and outreach programs as well as the use of radio and other media to inform, educate and entertain foreign publics as well as to learn the views of others about the United States and U.S. policy actions. Unfortunately, Murrow died before he assumed the position of heading the newly created center which was instead dedicated to his memory. The center was inaugurated in 1966 by Vice-President Hubert Humphrey.

The Murrow Center was established at the height of the Cold War and played an important role in the training of students for careers in public diplomacy,international cultural exchanges, and communications. The Center also served as an intellectual resource for USIA by hosting each year a senior officer on sabbatical as a Murrow Fellow and providing him/her with the opportunity of doing independent research and teaching subjects related to public diplomacy.

The end of the Cold War and the rise of new communications technologies brought about a shift in the Murrow Center's activities. Telecommunications and information technology as essential aspects of public diplomacy now complement its classical journalism heritage.

The Murrow Center is located in Goddard Hall at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. Murrow's library is housed in the Murrow Memorial Reading Room which also serves as a special seminar classroom and meeting room for Fletcher activities.

Source: LOH2; www.fletcher.tufts.edu/murrow/

Subject terms: Murrow, Edward R. Edward R. Murrow Center Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy Research Institutes Murrow Room Goddard Hall

The Murrow Center of Public Diplomacy was established in 1965 as a memorial to Edward R. Murrow, whose distinguished reporting and analysis of world news and imaginative leadership of the United States Information Agency set a standard of excellence in the field. The center sponsors professional workgroups, conferences and research travel grants, and conducts research in the fields of international communications, public diplomacy, and telecommunications technology and policy.

Edward R. Murrow is considered by many to be the exemplary twentieth century American journalist. His career in print, radio, and television news coincided with epochal events such as the bombing of London, the birth of the Cold War and the Kennedy Presidency. It was under President Kennedy that Murrow, after resigning from CBS, rose to his highest position in public life, as the first head of the United States Information Agency. USIA's mandate had been to tell the world about America and to establish people to people contacts in the interest of developing friendly and mutually beneficial relationships between the American people and the population of the rest of the world. Kennedy asked Murrow to head the USIA because of the tremendous respect and credibility Murrow had at home and around the world. Illness, however, cut Murrow's tenure at USIA short. After leaving USIA in 1965, Murrow accepted an invitation from the Dean of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Edmund Gullian, to head a Center for Public Diplomacy named after him. Gullian had previously coined the phrase 'public diplomacy' to describe the mix of cultural and student exchange and outreach programs as well as the use of radio and other media to inform, educate and entertain foreign publics as well as to learn the views of others about the United States and U.S. policy actions. Unfortunately, Murrow died before he assumed the position of heading the newly created center which was instead dedicated to his memory. The center was inaugurated in 1966 by Vice-President Hubert Humphrey.

The Murrow Center was established at the height of the Cold War and played an important role in the training of students for careers in public diplomacy,international cultural exchanges, and communications. The Center also served as an intellectual resource for USIA by hosting each year a senior officer on sabbatical as a Murrow Fellow and providing him/her with the opportunity of doing independent research and teaching subjects related to public diplomacy.

The end of the Cold War and the rise of new communications technologies brought about a shift in the Murrow Center's activities. Telecommunications and information technology as essential aspects of public diplomacy now complement its classical journalism heritage.

The Murrow Center is located in Goddard Hall at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. Murrow's library is housed in the Murrow Memorial Reading Room which also serves as a special seminar classroom and meeting room for Fletcher activities.

Source: LOH2; www.fletcher.tufts.edu/murrow/

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights