Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Hall, Walter Langdon, 1846-1906

Hall, Walter Langdon, 1846-1906

Dr. Walter Hall, n.d.Walter Langdon Hall (1846-1906) was one of the seven original founders of the Tufts College Medical School and was its first professor of Theory and Practice of Medicine, from 1893 to 1897.

Grandson of the first governor of New Hampshire, Hall was born in Augusta, Maine, on December 15, 1846.He attended the "Little Blue" School for Boys at Farmington and later matriculated at Bowdoin College. He left the school to enlist in the United States Army a few months prior to the end of the Civil War, despite the fact that he was under the age requirement for enlisted soldiers. In 1866, he was asked to be the Assistant Physician at the Lunatic Asylum at Blackwell's Island, New York. Two years later he graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College and filled the position of House Physician at the asylum. He held the position for one year, moving on to the position of Assistant Sanitary Inspector in New York City in 1869 and later studying Obstetrics in Vienna for two years. Returning to Canada, Hall established a practice in New Brunswick, later relocating to Newcastle, Maine, and, in 1880, Medford, Massachusetts.

In 1893, he joined the Tufts College Medical School as the first professor of Theory and Practice of Medicine, a position he held until 1897. Hall was also a member of Medford's Board of Health and a Fellow of the Massachusetts Medical Society. He was married to Jennie A. Failing, with whom he had two children, including Walter Davis Hall, M1898.Hall died following an operation for appendicitis on October 25, 1906.

The first meeting of the Medical School's faculty was held at Hall's home in Medford in 1893.

Source: HTCMS

Subject terms: Hall, Walter Langdon School of Medicine People Faculty

Walter Langdon Hall (1846-1906) was one of the seven original founders of the Tufts College Medical School and was its first professor of Theory and Practice of Medicine, from 1893 to 1897.

Grandson of the first governor of New Hampshire, Hall was born in Augusta, Maine, on December 15, 1846.He attended the "Little Blue" School for Boys at Farmington and later matriculated at Bowdoin College. He left the school to enlist in the United States Army a few months prior to the end of the Civil War, despite the fact that he was under the age requirement for enlisted soldiers. In 1866, he was asked to be the Assistant Physician at the Lunatic Asylum at Blackwell's Island, New York. Two years later he graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College and filled the position of House Physician at the asylum. He held the position for one year, moving on to the position of Assistant Sanitary Inspector in New York City in 1869 and later studying Obstetrics in Vienna for two years. Returning to Canada, Hall established a practice in New Brunswick, later relocating to Newcastle, Maine, and, in 1880, Medford, Massachusetts.

In 1893, he joined the Tufts College Medical School as the first professor of Theory and Practice of Medicine, a position he held until 1897. Hall was also a member of Medford's Board of Health and a Fellow of the Massachusetts Medical Society. He was married to Jennie A. Failing, with whom he had two children, including Walter Davis Hall, M1898.Hall died following an operation for appendicitis on October 25, 1906.

The first meeting of the Medical School's faculty was held at Hall's home in Medford in 1893.

Source: HTCMS

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights