Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts HistorySauer, Anne
Halligan Hall, 1925
|Originally built as a radio factory in 1925, Halligan Hall was rededicated in 1983, after a $600,000 gift from William J. Halligan, E1923, H1937, trustee emeritus, and his wife Katherine Halligan. It had been known as the Hooper Laboratories for Electrical Engineering since 1940.|
In 1925, the AMRAD Corporation, which broadcast from a radio tower on the Tufts hillside, built a factory on the former site of Pansy Park. It remained in use until 1930, when AMRAD merged with Motorola and moved their business to the Midwest. Tufts gained control of the property, and the Maintenance Department set up shop inside.
On June 5, 1940, the building was dedicated as the Hooper Laboratories for Electrical Engineering, in honor of William J. Hooper, A1877, G1878, H1898, a former Tufts professor instrumental in the founding of the Department of Electrical Engineering. The newly renovated building contained large labs, electrical equipment, and a large machine shop.
In 1983, Hooper Laboratories was renamed Halligan Hall, after a large gift from Halligan and his wife allowed for major renovations in the facility. Between 1983 and 1986, renovations in Halligan split the large labs into smaller, more convenient facilities, shrank the size of the machine shop, and provided new equipment for all the labs. In 1986, the Electro-Optics Technology Center was finished inside Halligan. It contained more labs and office space.
On October 23, 1994, Halligan Hall was again rededicated. In the previous year, the Department of Computer Science had been moved to Halligan, and the labs were reorganized to include both computer science and electrical engineering equipment.
In 2000, Halligan Hall continues to serve as home to the Departments of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, as well as offices for the Department of Physical Education/Athletics.
Source: OBS, TD, RNTB3, TJ
The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.