Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Henry J. Leir Hall, 1987

Henry J. Leir Hall, 1987

Henry J. Leir Hall, the lobby of the Aidekman Arts Center, was named in 1987 after Henry J. Leir, an industrialist and longtime donor to Tufts.

Ronald Stanton, an associate of Leir, provided Tufts with a gift enabling the university to complete over a million dollars worth of renovations to the entranceway of Aidekman and Cohen Auditorium. Stanton, whose son Oliver graduated from Tufts in 1987, asked that the lobby be named in honor of Leir.

The renovations included the reupholstering of 600 seats in Cohen, the completion of a new slate floor in the lobby, new sprinkler and air conditioning systems, new electrical wiring, an audio-visual system including projector booths, an acoustic ceiling, and revision of the housing and stage.

Leir, since his emigration to the United States in 1940, had made substantial contributions to the Tufts School of Nutrition, the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, the Campus Center, and the Tufts European Center in Talloires, France.

A plaque honoring Leir hangs outside of the entrance to Cohen, and a bust of Leir done by his niece, sculptor Marcelle Quinto, is located in the lobby itself.

Source: TJ

Subject terms: Leir, Henry J. Buildings Academic Leir Hall Cohen Arts Center Aidekman Arts Center Medford Campus

Henry J. Leir Hall, the lobby of the Aidekman Arts Center, was named in 1987 after Henry J. Leir, an industrialist and longtime donor to Tufts.

Ronald Stanton, an associate of Leir, provided Tufts with a gift enabling the university to complete over a million dollars worth of renovations to the entranceway of Aidekman and Cohen Auditorium. Stanton, whose son Oliver graduated from Tufts in 1987, asked that the lobby be named in honor of Leir.

The renovations included the reupholstering of 600 seats in Cohen, the completion of a new slate floor in the lobby, new sprinkler and air conditioning systems, new electrical wiring, an audio-visual system including projector booths, an acoustic ceiling, and revision of the housing and stage.

Leir, since his emigration to the United States in 1940, had made substantial contributions to the Tufts School of Nutrition, the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, the Campus Center, and the Tufts European Center in Talloires, France.

A plaque honoring Leir hangs outside of the entrance to Cohen, and a bust of Leir done by his niece, sculptor Marcelle Quinto, is located in the lobby itself.

Source: TJ

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights