Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts HistorySauer, Anne
Loew, Franklin M., 1939
|Franklin M. Loew (b.1939) served as the second dean of the Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine from 1982 to 1995. The Franklin M. Loew Medical Education Center, located on the Grafton campus, was named in Loew's honor in 1992.|
Growing up in Syracuse, New York, Loew attended Cornell University, from which he received both his bachelor's and veterinary medical degrees. He then earned a Ph. D. in physiology from the University of Saskatchewan. From 1967 to 1977, Loew taught physiology and veterinary clinical studies at Saskatchewan. Before coming to Tufts, Loew directed the Division of Comparative Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where he was also chief of laboratory medicine and an associate professor of comparative medicine.
Loew became dean of the Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine in 1982. He also was the Henry and Lois Foster Professor of Comparative Medicine. Loew served as the chairman of the Department of Environmental Studies and as the chair of the Council of Health Sciences Deans. During his tenure, more than forty million dollars were raised in support of the veterinary school and the number of female faculty members rose to thirty-five percent.
Loew left Tufts in 1995, after almost fourteen years, to become Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell. He left that deanship in 1997 to assume the position of president of Medical Foods, Inc., in Cambridge, Massachusetts, for a year and a half. In April 1998, Loew returned to academia by being inaugurated as the eighth president of Becker College in Worcester and Leicester, Massachusetts.
Franklin M. Loew died on April 22, 2003.
Source: VF, TJ October 1992, The Boston Globe 1/31/99, Becker College, TD
The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.