Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

MacJannet, Donald Ross, 1894-1986

MacJannet, Donald Ross, 1894-1986

Donald Ross MacJannet (1894-1986), A1916, H1933, H1979, was a benefactor of Tufts University and an educator who established his own international schools and camps. His greatest gift to the institution was the property in Talloires, France, which the university uses as the European Center.

A descendent of Peregrine White, the baby born on the Mayflower, MacJannet was orphaned at an early age and raised, along with his sister, in the home of a Medford, Massachusetts, widow. In 1912, he graduated as valedictorian of Medford High School and entered Tufts College on a partial scholarship. He earned a B.A. in French literature in 1916. He then attended the Sorbonne in France.

In 1923, MacJannet founded a school just outside of Paris in St. Cloud, known as the MacJannet School for Young Americans. He opened a second school in Paris and acquired some land in Taillores the following year. There he started two camps, one for girls and the other for boys, which attracted an international clientele, spreading his reputation as an educator throughout the world. Some of his notable campers and students include Prince Phillip of Great Britain, Indira Ghandi, the late Prime Minister of India, and Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart. In 1932, MacJannet was elected to the Legion of Honor. His schools operated for seventeen years, closing in the early 1940s. The camps continued until 1964, with a brief hiatus during World War II.During the war, the MacJannets returned to the United States, operating a school and camp in Sun Valley, Idaho and helping with the war effort in Washington, D.C.

In 1944, Tufts president Leonard Carmichael called on the MacJannets to help consolidate the college's dental and medical schools in the new Harrison Avenue, Boston campus. As soon as they were able, the MacJannets returned to France to resume their camps' normal operations.

The MacJannets purchased an eleventh century Benedictine priory in Talloires France in 1958. MacJannnet restored the building for use as an educational facility, using it for twenty years as a center to house educational and cultural events. In 1979, the MacJannets turned the property over to Tufts University, which established its European campus and conference center on the premises.

MacJannet died on April 4, 1986 in Geneva, Switzerland.

Source: TC, Spring 1986

Subject terms: MacJannet, Donald Ross Carmichael, Leonard European Center People Alumni and alumnae European Center

Donald Ross MacJannet (1894-1986), A1916, H1933, H1979, was a benefactor of Tufts University and an educator who established his own international schools and camps. His greatest gift to the institution was the property in Talloires, France, which the university uses as the European Center.

A descendent of Peregrine White, the baby born on the Mayflower, MacJannet was orphaned at an early age and raised, along with his sister, in the home of a Medford, Massachusetts, widow. In 1912, he graduated as valedictorian of Medford High School and entered Tufts College on a partial scholarship. He earned a B.A. in French literature in 1916. He then attended the Sorbonne in France.

In 1923, MacJannet founded a school just outside of Paris in St. Cloud, known as the MacJannet School for Young Americans. He opened a second school in Paris and acquired some land in Taillores the following year. There he started two camps, one for girls and the other for boys, which attracted an international clientele, spreading his reputation as an educator throughout the world. Some of his notable campers and students include Prince Phillip of Great Britain, Indira Ghandi, the late Prime Minister of India, and Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart. In 1932, MacJannet was elected to the Legion of Honor. His schools operated for seventeen years, closing in the early 1940s. The camps continued until 1964, with a brief hiatus during World War II.During the war, the MacJannets returned to the United States, operating a school and camp in Sun Valley, Idaho and helping with the war effort in Washington, D.C.

In 1944, Tufts president Leonard Carmichael called on the MacJannets to help consolidate the college's dental and medical schools in the new Harrison Avenue, Boston campus. As soon as they were able, the MacJannets returned to France to resume their camps' normal operations.

The MacJannets purchased an eleventh century Benedictine priory in Talloires France in 1958. MacJannnet restored the building for use as an educational facility, using it for twenty years as a center to house educational and cultural events. In 1979, the MacJannets turned the property over to Tufts University, which established its European campus and conference center on the premises.

MacJannet died on April 4, 1986 in Geneva, Switzerland.

Source: TC, Spring 1986

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights