Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Richardson House, 1857

Richardson House, 1857

Richardson House, ca. 1955Richardson House, originally known simply as Building B, was built in 1857 to relieve crowded dormitory conditions on campus. It was originally located on the present site of West Hall. In 1910 the building was renamed Richardson House after Mary Richardson, a long time friend and benefactor of the university.

The original structure was built for $3,161.50, and was used as a dormitory for three years, until the completion of East Hall. It was not named, and in university records it is referred to simply as Building B. After East Hall opened, the building was converted to a home for professors Keen and Schneider.

In 1870, the entire building was relocated to Professor's Row, where it remained home to Professor Schneider until his death. In 1910, Richardson, as it became known, was fully renovated to serve as a dormitory for Jackson College. In 1923, the building was again renovated. Its size was doubled, with the original building serving as the western half of the present dormitory. During WWII, Richardson was given over to the army and used as a barracks, but after the war it was returned to Tufts and continued to serve as a Jackson dorm.

As of 2000, Richardson House serves as the only single-sex dorm on campus, for women undergraduates.

Source: BG#010, RNTB1

Subject terms: Richardson, Mary A. Jackson College Buildings Housing Dormitories Richardson House Medford Campus Building B

Richardson House, originally known simply as Building B, was built in 1857 to relieve crowded dormitory conditions on campus. It was originally located on the present site of . In 1910 the building was renamed Richardson House after Mary Richardson, a long time friend and benefactor of the university.

The original structure was built for $3,161.50, and was used as a dormitory for three years, until the completion of . It was not named, and in university records it is referred to simply as Building B. After opened, the building was converted to a home for professors Keen and Schneider.

In 1870, the entire building was relocated to Professor's Row, where it remained home to Professor Schneider until his death. In 1910, Richardson, as it became known, was fully renovated to serve as a dormitory for Jackson College. In 1923, the building was again renovated. Its size was doubled, with the original building serving as the western half of the present dormitory. During WWII, Richardson was given over to the army and used as a barracks, but after the war it was returned to Tufts and continued to serve as a Jackson dorm.

As of 2000, Richardson House serves as the only single-sex dorm on campus, for women undergraduates.

Source: BG#010, RNTB1

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights