Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

School of Veterinary Medicine, 1978

School of Veterinary Medicine, 1978

Large Animal Hospital, Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, n.d.The School of Veterinary Medicine was established in 1978, opened in 1979, and graduated its first class in 1983.Established through the advocacy of President Jean Mayer, the school was unique in its affiliation to a health sciences complex rather than to a school of agriculture. The school is located on a 634 acre campus in Grafton, Massachusetts, site of a former state mental hospital. The school also shares facilities with the medical and dental schools on the downtown Boston campus, where vet students receive their first year of instruction in the basic sciences. Students at the veterinary school are exposed to care of all types of animals including food (cattle, sheep, swine, goat), fiber (sheep, llama), companion (dog, cat), and sporting (horse) animals. In addition, students are given the option of learning about care for wildlife through the wildlife medicine program. In addition to medicine, surgery, preventive medicine, and public health, the school also educates students about ethics, conservation medicine, and human-animal relationships.

Initial discussions on the establishment of a veterinary school were begun in the early 1970s as the absence of such a school in the New England region combined with a prediction of a nationwide deficit of veterinarians made the need apparent. After a variety of options were explored, including locating a school at the Otis Air Force base on Cape Cod, Tufts, under Jean Mayer's leadership, stepped forward to take the lead in the project. Richard B. Talbot, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University was brought in as interim dean to oversee the startup of the school on a part-time basis. On April 29, 1978, the trustees voted to establish the school as part of Mayer's vision of an integrated "one medicine" program embracing the totality of medical, dental, veterinary, and nutrition education.

The school provides clinical facilities as part of the Tufts-New England Veterinary Medical Center, which includes the Foster Hospital for Small Animals, the Large Animal Hospital, the Cornelius Thibeault Equine Clinic, the Amelia Peabody Pavilion, the Issam Fares Equine Sports Medicine Program, the Harrington Oncology Program, and the Wildlife Clinic at Grafton, as well as the Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole, and the Ambulatory Farm Clinic based at Woodstock, Connecticut.

The degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.) is the primary degree offered by the school, though since 1995 the school also offers a Master of Science (M.S.) in Animals and Public Policy. The school features several signature programs which offer specialized perspectives on veterinary sciences, including Wildlife Medicine, Equine Sports Medicine, International Veterinary Medicine, Ethics and Values in Veterinary Medicine, and Biotechnology and Veterinary Medicine.

Source: LOH2; BVM 1999-2001

Subject terms: Mayer, Jean Talbot, Richard B. School of Veterinary Medicine Universities and colleges Grafton Campus

The School of Veterinary Medicine was established in 1978, opened in 1979, and graduated its first class in 1983.Established through the advocacy of President Jean Mayer, the school was unique in its affiliation to a health sciences complex rather than to a school of agriculture. The school is located on a 634 acre campus in Grafton, Massachusetts, site of a former state mental hospital. The school also shares facilities with the medical and dental schools on the downtown Boston campus, where vet students receive their first year of instruction in the basic sciences. Students at the veterinary school are exposed to care of all types of animals including food (cattle, sheep, swine, goat), fiber (sheep, llama), companion (dog, cat), and sporting (horse) animals. In addition, students are given the option of learning about care for wildlife through the wildlife medicine program. In addition to medicine, surgery, preventive medicine, and public health, the school also educates students about ethics, conservation medicine, and human-animal relationships.

Initial discussions on the establishment of a veterinary school were begun in the early 1970s as the absence of such a school in the New England region combined with a prediction of a nationwide deficit of veterinarians made the need apparent. After a variety of options were explored, including locating a school at the Otis Air Force base on Cape Cod, Tufts, under Jean Mayer's leadership, stepped forward to take the lead in the project. Richard B. Talbot, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University was brought in as interim dean to oversee the startup of the school on a part-time basis. On April 29, 1978, the trustees voted to establish the school as part of Mayer's vision of an integrated "one medicine" program embracing the totality of medical, dental, veterinary, and nutrition education.

The school provides clinical facilities as part of the Tufts-New England Veterinary Medical Center, which includes the Foster Hospital for Small Animals, the Large Animal Hospital, the Cornelius Thibeault Equine Clinic, the Amelia Peabody Pavilion, the Issam Fares Equine Sports Medicine Program, the Harrington Oncology Program, and the Wildlife Clinic at Grafton, as well as the Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole, and the Ambulatory Farm Clinic based at Woodstock, Connecticut.

The degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.) is the primary degree offered by the school, though since 1995 the school also offers a Master of Science (M.S.) in Animals and Public Policy. The school features several signature programs which offer specialized perspectives on veterinary sciences, including Wildlife Medicine, Equine Sports Medicine, International Veterinary Medicine, Ethics and Values in Veterinary Medicine, and Biotechnology and Veterinary Medicine.

Source: LOH2; BVM 1999-2001

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights