Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Tisch Library, 1996

Tisch Library, 1996

Tisch Library, formerly Wessell Library, opened in January 1996 after twenty-one million dollars worth of renovation and new construction.

By the early 1990s, it was clear that Arts and Sciences' library facilities were unable to meet the growing needs of the school. Wessell Library was cold and dark, and was not large enough to accommodate the growing student body. Renovations were clearly necessary to bring Wessell up to the level of libraries at competing universities.

After receiving a ten million dollar grant from alumni Jonathan and Stephen Tisch, administrators and architects began planning the improved facility. Instead of building up, administrators decided to build out. This saved the library roof, a popular hangout for students.

The renovations, which took about two years to complete, added 80,000 square feet to the facility. This allowed for enclosed quiet study areas, improved audio-visual facilities and classrooms, and brought the seating capacity up to 1250. The building was also made handicap accessible, and extra windows were added to bring more natural light to library users.

As of 2000, Tisch still serves as the library for Arts and Sciences and remains one of the busiest buildings on the Medford campus.

Source: TD

Subject terms: Library Faculty of Arts and Sciences Buildings Medford Campus Tisch Library Wessell Library

Tisch Library, formerly Wessell Library, opened in January 1996 after twenty-one million dollars worth of renovation and new construction.

By the early 1990s, it was clear that Arts and Sciences' library facilities were unable to meet the growing needs of the school. Wessell Library was cold and dark, and was not large enough to accommodate the growing student body. Renovations were clearly necessary to bring Wessell up to the level of libraries at competing universities.

After receiving a ten million dollar grant from alumni Jonathan and Stephen Tisch, administrators and architects began planning the improved facility. Instead of building up, administrators decided to build out. This saved the library roof, a popular hangout for students.

The renovations, which took about two years to complete, added 80,000 square feet to the facility. This allowed for enclosed quiet study areas, improved audio-visual facilities and classrooms, and brought the seating capacity up to 1250. The building was also made handicap accessible, and extra windows were added to bring more natural light to library users.

As of 2000, Tisch still serves as the library for Arts and Sciences and remains one of the busiest buildings on the Medford campus.

Source: TD

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights