Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Tufts New England Medical Center, 1930

Tufts New England Medical Center, 1930

Tufts-New England Medical Center building, November 1975The New England Medical Center (NEMC) is the principal teaching hospital for the Medical School and Dental School. The Medical Center's chiefs of service are joint appointees with the medical school and most serve as chairs of their respective departments at the medical school. Students take 25% of their required third year clerkships and 50% of their fourth year electives at NEMC.

New England Medical Center was established in 1930 through the alliance of the Boston Dispensary, the Boston Floating Hospital for Children, and the Trustees of Tufts College. The NEMC was established as a non-profit corporation to coordinate the administrative activities of its constituent organizations. In 1946 the Pratt Diagnostic Clinic, an extension of the Boston Dispensary established in 1938, joined NEMC.In 1950, when the Medical School and Dental School relocated to Harrison Avenue, the NEMC became known as the New England Medical Center Hospital.

The entity was renamed Tufts-New England Medical Center in 1968, and in 1970 the NEMC board met at the Coonamessett Inn in Falmouth, Massachusetts to outline ways the NEMC and Tufts could further coordinate operations. The resulting directives, known as the Coonamessett Statement, indicated that support services and other business functions should be made the responsibility of T-NEMC in each case where it made sense to do so. That same year Tufts President Hallowell and NEMC President Quarles signed an affiliation agreement that codified the T-NEMC as an alliance through which its constituent units would move toward a completely integrated operation. By 1976, T-NEMC controlled health care studies, medical engineering, community health and ambulatory care, employee-student health services, lab animal medicine, some research, off-site medical services, a common utility supply center, architectural services, communications, educational media, parking facilities, property ownership, and public relations. However, by the late 1970s both institutions had experienced a change in leadership, resulting in a change of priorities for each. Interest in integration waned and the cooperation forged in the early 1970s was dismantled.

After a period of tension and competition in the 1980s, Tufts and NEMC drafted a new affiliation agreement in 1991, which remains in effect as of 1999.

Source: LOH1; COE

Subject terms: allowell, Burton Crosby School of Dental Medicine School of Medicine Tufts New England Medical Center Coonamessett Statement Boston Campus

The New England Medical Center (NEMC) is the principal teaching hospital for the Medical School and Dental School. The Medical Center's chiefs of service are joint appointees with the medical school and most serve as chairs of their respective departments at the medical school. Students take 25% of their required third year clerkships and 50% of their fourth year electives at NEMC.

New England Medical Center was established in 1930 through the alliance of the Boston Dispensary, the Boston Floating Hospital for Children, and the Trustees of Tufts College. The NEMC was established as a non-profit corporation to coordinate the administrative activities of its constituent organizations. In 1946 the Pratt Diagnostic Clinic, an extension of the Boston Dispensary established in 1938, joined NEMC.In 1950, when the Medical School and Dental School relocated to Harrison Avenue, the NEMC became known as the New England Medical Center Hospital.

The entity was renamed Tufts-New England Medical Center in 1968, and in 1970 the NEMC board met at the Coonamessett Inn in Falmouth, Massachusetts to outline ways the NEMC and Tufts could further coordinate operations. The resulting directives, known as the Coonamessett Statement, indicated that support services and other business functions should be made the responsibility of T-NEMC in each case where it made sense to do so. That same year Tufts President Hallowell and NEMC President Quarles signed an affiliation agreement that codified the T-NEMC as an alliance through which its constituent units would move toward a completely integrated operation. By 1976, T-NEMC controlled health care studies, medical engineering, community health and ambulatory care, employee-student health services, lab animal medicine, some research, off-site medical services, a common utility supply center, architectural services, communications, educational media, parking facilities, property ownership, and public relations. However, by the late 1970s both institutions had experienced a change in leadership, resulting in a change of priorities for each. Interest in integration waned and the cooperation forged in the early 1970s was dismantled.

After a period of tension and competition in the 1980s, Tufts and NEMC drafted a new affiliation agreement in 1991, which remains in effect as of 1999.

Source: LOH1; COE

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is. The Encyclopedia is an ongoing, constantly growing, online r... read more

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights