Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne
Branco, Jessica
Bennett, John
Crowley, Zachary
2000

Wilson, George Grafton, 1863-1951

Wilson, George Grafton, 1863-1951

George Grafton Wilson (1863-1951) was a distinguished scholar of International Law and a member of the Fletcher School faculty from 1933 to 1951.

Wilson started his career as a lecturer at the Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island, in 1900, but gained most of his fame as a professor of international law at Harvard University, where he began in 1910. He served as one of America's delegates to the Naval Conference in London in 1905, and also wrote and co-wrote a series of books detailing the specifics of international law.

In 1925, with the first grant from Austin Fletcher's will, work began at Tufts University to appoint a faculty for the new Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. Although a separate school had not yet been established, Tufts hired Wilson as lecturer in international law in the Fletcher School for the 1926-1927 school year. He was unable to return the following year, but was rehired as a professor of public and international law for the school's official opening in 1933. Still a professor at Harvard, Wilson was deeply involved in the early debates about the level of influence Harvard would have at the still-developing Fletcher School.

Wilson became known as a dignified and serious professor, who used current cases to engage his students. After 1938, Wilson was designated Special Lecturer in International Law, and would remain with Fletcher until his death on May 2, 1951.

Wilson left his mark on Tufts University. The men's dormitory at the Fletcher School was named in his honor, and he donated his vast library of over 1,000 documents and 1,400 manuscripts to the Ginn Library, where it remains as the George Grafton Wilson Collection in International Law.

Source: VF, LOH1, IPE

Subject terms: Wilson, George Grafton Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy People Faculty Wilson House

George Grafton Wilson (1863-1951) was a distinguished scholar of International Law and a member of the Fletcher School faculty from 1933 to 1951.

Wilson started his career as a lecturer at the Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island, in 1900, but gained most of his fame as a professor of international law at Harvard University, where he began in 1910. He served as one of America's delegates to the Naval Conference in London in 1905, and also wrote and co-wrote a series of books detailing the specifics of international law.

In 1925, with the first grant from Austin Fletcher's will, work began at Tufts University to appoint a faculty for the new Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. Although a separate school had not yet been established, Tufts hired Wilson as lecturer in international law in the Fletcher School for the 1926-1927 school year. He was unable to return the following year, but was rehired as a professor of public and international law for the school's official opening in 1933. Still a professor at Harvard, Wilson was deeply involved in the early debates about the level of influence Harvard would have at the still-developing Fletcher School.

Wilson became known as a dignified and serious professor, who used current cases to engage his students. After 1938, Wilson was designated Special Lecturer in International Law, and would remain with Fletcher until his death on May 2, 1951.

Wilson left his mark on Tufts University. The men's dormitory at the Fletcher School was named in his honor, and he donated his vast library of over 1,000 documents and 1,400 manuscripts to the Ginn Library, where it remains as the George Grafton Wilson Collection in International Law.

Source: VF, LOH1, IPE

 
Subject terms:
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
collapseNumeric Entries
collapseA
collapseB
collapseC
collapseD
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
collapseE
collapseF
collapseG
collapseH
collapseI
collapseJ
collapseK
collapseL
collapseM
collapseN
collapseO
collapseP
collapseR
collapseS
collapseT
collapseU
collapseV
collapseW
collapseZ
 List of Sources

The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives Records
Subjects
Tufts University--History
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14829
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights