High on the Hill

Dixon, Linda J.
1979

TOP OF THE HILL

TOP OF THE HILL

 

Now let's return to the present and to the main campus. As we walk back toward Ballou Hall, the two connected buildings on the right are the Lincoln Filene Center and Braker Hall. The latter building, constructed in 1927, was named for Henry J. Braker, a wealthy New Yorker who was a close friend and client of Austin Barclay Fletcher. It contains classrooms and offices. The contemporary building adjoining Braker Hall is the Lincoln Filene Center for Citizenship and Public Affairs, completed in 1963, made possible by a grant from the Lincoln and Theresa Filene foundation. Their daughter, Catherine Filene (Mrs. Jouett) Shouse, H62, who provided the grant, is also the founder of "Wolftrap" — the National Center for the Performing Arts near Washington, D.C. The next two buildings are East Hall and Packard Hall, two of the tour.