High on the HillDixon, Linda J.
On the other side of Packard Avenue is a tree-lined quadrangle with an imposing group of dormitories. At the end of the quadrangle is Carmichael Hall, built in 1954 and named for Leonard Carmichael, A21. After serving as president of Tufts from 1938 to 1952, Dr. Carmichael headed the world-famous Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., and served as vice president for Exploration and Research for the National Geographic Society.
The building on the right is Miller Hall. It was named for George Stewart Miller, A06, H41. During his more than fifty years of service, he served as assistant to presidents, professor of government, vice president, acting president, dean of the faculty, and president of the Tufts University Alumni Association. In 1941 Tufts bestowed an honorary degree upon him, and for his lifetime of devotion to Tufts he became known as "Mr. Tufts."
Behind Miller Hall is Wren Hall, which commemorates the name of Frank G. Wren, A94, who served for many years as dean of the Liberal Arts School. Dean Wren alone quietly carried out academic and administrative functions now performed by a host of vice presidents and deans.
On the left as you face Carmichael Hall is Houston Hall, named for Clarence P. Houston, A14. Professor Houston, known fondly as "Pop" Houston, was the first alumni secretary of Tufts College. He served as director of athletics, legal counsel and professor of commercial law and later as vice president of Tufts. When he and his wife Marian retired to Arizona late in 1961, they gave their home on Talbot Avenue to the university, suggesting that it be used as Alumni House. When you visit this house for various alumni activities, note its fine craftsmanship and design. Craftsmen for its construction were readily available, for it was the only home built in Somerville during 1932, in the middle of the Depression.
This pamphlet-style publication was created to inform incoming students of the history and traditions of Tufts University in the form of a self-guided tour of the Medford campus.