High on the Hill

Dixon, Linda J.
1979

THE OLD CAMPUS

THE OLD CAMPUS

 

The open area below Goddard Hall, known as the "Old Campus" is not older than the rest of the college, nor is it what we think of as a "campus." It is a in the ancient Roman sense, "an open place for martial exercise." Here during the Civil and subsequent wars, college students were drilled for military service. But it has been used much more extensively as an athletic field. Here in 1875 Tufts and Harvard played a game, using rules and a ball comparable to those of the modern game of football. It is supposed to have been the first game of football ever played.

Professors Row extends along the south side of the Old Campus where several fraternity houses are located. Also in this section of the Row is the University Infirmary which combines the facilities of Hooper House with those of Bartol House on the next street.