A History of London, Vol. II

Loftie, W. J.
1883

APPENDIX E.
The Prebendal Manors of St. Paul's.
BROOMSBURY, or BRONDESBURY, the 14th stall on the left side.
A division of Willesden. Called after David Brand, prebendary at the time of the division.
BROWNSWOOD, the 16th stall on the right side.
Part of Willesden. Called after Roger Brun, prebendary in
1142
. See under Willesden, etc. But this manor has been identified by some authorities with a small holding in Hornsey.
CADDINGTON MAJOR, the 17th stall on the left side.
The manor of Aston Bury, in Bedfordshire. Given to the church, with Caddington Minor and Sandon, in Herts, by King Athelstan, between
926
and
941
.
CADDINGTON MINOR, the 5th stall on the left side.
The manor of Caddington, or Provenders, in Bedfordshire. See Caddington Major, or Aston Bury.
CANTLERS, the 10th stall on the right side.
Also written as Kentish Town, in the parish of St. Pancras. Probably named after Roger Cantelupe, or Cantlow, prebendary in
1249
.
CHAMBERLAINEWOOD, the 6th stall on the right side.
A small holding taken out of Willesden, and called after Richard de Camera, prebendary in
1215
, and rector of Willesden.
CHISWICK, the 18th stall on the left side.
The parish of Chiswick, Middlesex, but granted away to Westminster Abbey by Dean Goodman in the time of Queen Elizabeth.
CONSUMPTA PER MARE, the 13th stall on the left side.
This oddly named stall was connected with a holding in Walton le Soken, in Essex, and is sometimes called
Consumpta in Waltone.
The addition of
le Soken
to the names of Kirby and Walton may be on account of the holdings of the prebendaries of St. Paul's.
EALDLAND, the 10th stall on the left side.
Like Wedland, this is a manor in the parish of Tillingham, near Maldon in Essex.
EALDSTREET, the 18th stall on the right side.
A part of St. Leonard's Shoreditch, now marked by Old Street.
FINSBURY, or HOLYWELL, the 4th stall on the right side.
Also written Vynesbury, and Halliwell: partly in the parish of St. Giles, Cripplegate, and partly in St. Leonard, Shoreditch. Robert Baldock, prebendary in
1315
, leased the manor to the Mayor and Commons. The lease dropped in
1867
, and the manor now belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
HARLESTON, the 7th stall on the right side.
A portion of the parish of Willesden; see Mapesbury, etc. I have found no clue to the meaning of the name.
HOLBORN, the 6th stall on the right side.
In the parish of St. Andrew. The name is derived from the river, the Holeburne, or upper course of the Fleet.
HOXTON, the 9th stall on the left side.
A manor in the original parish of Shoreditch. It possibly derives its name from Hugh or
Hugo, the Archdeacon,
who was succeeded in the stall by his son, Henry, early in the XIIth century. Newcourt endeavours to identify Hugh with archdeacons of Essex and of Colchester a hundred years later. This is an interesting example of hereditary succession. Hugh's predecessor, Gaufridus, had succeeded his father Osbern.
ISLINGTON, the 11th stall on the left side of the choir.
Comprised part of the original parish of the same name, north of
London
. Algar, son of " Deorman of London," was prebendary in the eleventh century.
MAPESBURY, the 12th stall on the right side.
Divided from Willesden in
1150
: and called after the celebrated Archdeacon, Walter Map, or Mapes, " who was present at the making of the constitution de Pane et Servicio (sic), when Ralph de Langford was Dean." Newcourt i. 173.
MORA, or the MOOR, the 9th stall on the right side.
In the parish of St. Giles, Cripplegate. Often confounded with Finsbury.
NEASDEN, the 15th stall on the left side of the choir.
A small estate in the parish of Willesden, divided from the original manor about
1150
. Sometimes written Heston, or Measdone.
NEWINGTON, the 16th stall on the left side.
The parish of Stoke Newington, in Middlesex.
OXGATE, the 13th stall on the right side.
A division of Willesden. See above, Mapesbury, etc. It was held by Nicholas " Crocemannus " in the beginning of the twelfth century and by his son, another Nicholas, in
1150
at the time of the constitution " de pane et cervisio."
PANCRAS, or ST. PANCRAS, the 6th stall on the left side.
Part of the parish of St. Pancras.
PORTPOOL, the 8th stall on the right side.
In the parish of St. Andrew's, Holborn. It is now known as Gray's Inn.
RECULVERLAND, the 7th stall on the left side.
Like Wedland and Ealdland, a manor in the parish of Tillingham in Essex. St. Thomas of Canterbury sat in this stall. The holding is called after his successor Hugh de Reculver, probably a Kentish man.
RUGMERE, the 17th stall on the right side.
The modern parishes of St. Giles, and St. George, Bloomsbury. probably called from a mere or pond, on the ridge of the hill, drained by Bleomund's Dyke.
SNEATING, the 14th stall on the right side.
In the parish of Kirkby or Kirby le Soken, near Colchester in Essex.
TOTTENHALL, or TOTTENHAM, the 4th stall on the left side.
In the parish of St. Pancras. It was held by the deans for a time.
TWYFORD, the 11th stall on the right side.
Part of the divided parish of Willesden, now East Twyford. The " ford " was over the river Brent.
WEDLAND, or WILDLAND, or WILDERLAND, the 8th stall on the left side.
A manor in the parish of Tillingham, near Maldon in Essex.
WENLOCKSBARN, the 15th stall on the right side.
In the parish of St. Giles, Cripplegate. I have found no clue to the name, which is sometimes written Wenlakesbarn.
WILLESDEN, otherwise BOWLNESS, or BOUNS, the 12th stall on the left side.
A part of the original manor, which comprised the whole parish, divided in or about
1150
. The whole had been previously devoted to the provision of bread and beer, as mentioned in the Domesday Book.