The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

St. Christopher le Stocks.

St. Christopher le Stocks.

St. Christopher le Stocks.

St. Christopher's church stood upon the site now occupied by the western wing of the principal front of the Bank. It was of considerable antiquity, as appears from Richard at Lane being collated thereunto in 1368. It was in the patronage of the bishop of London, and was not totally destroyed by the fire of London, being repaired in the years 1671 and 1696, under the direction of sir Christopher Wren ; the body was modernized, and contained three large arched windows, with a clerestory. The tower was lofty, square in plan, with an octangular turret at each angle, which finished above the battlements in obelisks of the same form ending in vanes, being almost a counterpart of the steeple of St. Sepulchre's church.

The interior was not unlike many other churches erected by sir Christopher Wren, it was divided into a nave and aisles, the tower being situated within the walls, and occupying the west end of the south aisle. The body and aisles were divided by composite columns, sustaining an architrave. The ceilings were horizontal and pannelled; a monument now in the parish church of St. Margaret, Lothbury, occupied the place of a window in the north aisle, and the pulpit and desks were grouped against one of the columns, on the north side of the nave. The south aisle had a gallery extending the whole length of that portion which was clear of the tower. The altar screen of carved oak, was decorated with columns sustaining an entablature and pediment, surmounted by seven candlesticks on acroteria; the wall above was painted with a curtain drawn up to display the Hebrew name of the Deity, in a circle of carving in relief, consisting of vine leaves, grapes, and wheat ears, the whole surrounded by a splendid irradiation.

In this church was buried Mr. John Kendrick, (citizen and draper of London), a native of Reading, who died in 1624, and whose extensive bequests to that town, and to Newbury, to the draper's company, St. Paul's, Christ Church, &c. amounted to upwards of 32,000l. And also William Varelst, a descendant of Simon Varelst the celebrated fruit and flower painter in the time of Charles II. On the north side of St. Christopher's church yard, was situated the principal penny post office, previous to its removal to Lombard-street.

Opposite the east entrance to the Bank, at the upper end of Capel Court, (so called from sir William Capel, lord mayor in 1503, who had a mansion or inn here) is the

 

St. Christopher's church stood upon the site now occupied by the western wing of the principal front of the Bank. It was of considerable antiquity, as appears from Richard at Lane being collated thereunto in . It was in the patronage of the bishop of London, and was not totally destroyed by the fire of London, being repaired in the years and , under the direction of sir Christopher Wren ; the body was modernized, and contained large arched windows, with a clerestory. The tower was lofty, square in plan, with an octangular turret at each angle, which finished above the battlements in obelisks of the same form ending in vanes, being almost a counterpart of the steeple of St. Sepulchre's church.

The interior was not unlike many other churches erected by sir Christopher Wren, it was divided into a nave and aisles, the tower being situated within the walls, and occupying the west end of the south aisle. The body and aisles were divided by composite columns, sustaining an architrave. The ceilings were horizontal and pannelled; a monument now in the parish church of St. Margaret, , occupied the place of a window in the north aisle, and the pulpit and desks were grouped against of the columns, on the north side of the nave. The south aisle had a gallery extending the whole length of that portion which was clear of the tower. The altar screen of carved oak, was decorated with columns sustaining an entablature and pediment, surmounted by candlesticks on acroteria; the wall above was painted with a curtain drawn up to display the Hebrew name of the Deity, in a circle of carving in

247

relief, consisting of vine leaves, grapes, and wheat ears, the whole surrounded by a splendid irradiation.

In this church was buried Mr. John Kendrick, (citizen and draper of London), a native of Reading, who died in , and whose extensive bequests to that town, and to Newbury, to the draper's company, , , &c. amounted to upwards of And also William Varelst, a descendant of Simon Varelst the celebrated fruit and flower painter in the time of Charles II. On the north side of St. Christopher's church yard, was situated the principal penny post office, previous to its removal to .

Opposite the east entrance to the Bank, at the upper end of , (so called from sir William Capel, lord mayor in , who had a mansion or inn here) is the

 
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights