The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

Carpenters' Hall.

Carpenters' Hall.

At present rented as a carpet warehouse. The entrance to the premises is under a large arch, with four Corinthian pillars at the sides, and on the key-stone a bust of Inigo Jones, and the arms of the company. Within is a pleasant area, intersected by gravelled walks and grass plats, on the south side of which is the hall: this consists of a Doric basement, (having porticoes of the same order at the east and west ends) supporting a rustic story, ornamented with pediments, cornices, &c. The original roofing was of oak, but that has long given place to a stuccoed ceiling, (of the date of 1677), on which the royal arms, and those of the city and company, are displayed in alternate sexagon and circular pannels, surrounded by festoons, scrolls, and branches. A few divisions of the ancient east window, with pointed tops, are yet visible; and in those are the carpenters' arms, in stained glass. The flooring is of marble, but is at present covered with wood, for the joint purpose of warmth and preservation. The house now used for the company's business, stands nearly contiguous, in a small court, and is embellished in front by Ionic pilasters, a pediment and Venetian window. The portraits of William Portington, esq. master carpenter in the office of his majesty's buildings, who died in March 1628, at the age of eighty-four; and John Scot, esq. carpenter and carriage maker to the office of ordnance, in the reign of Charles the Second, are mentioned by Strype as being in the old hall of this company.

On the north side of Threadneedle-street is the

At present rented as a carpet warehouse. The entrance to the

258

premises is under a large arch, with Corinthian pillars at the sides, and on the key-stone a bust of Inigo Jones, and the arms of the company. Within is a pleasant area, intersected by gravelled walks and grass plats, on the south side of which is the hall: this consists of a Doric basement, (having porticoes of the same order at the east and west ends) supporting a rustic story, ornamented with pediments, cornices, &c. The original roofing was of oak, but that has long given place to a stuccoed ceiling, (of the date of ), on which the royal arms, and those of the city and company, are displayed in alternate sexagon and circular pannels, surrounded by festoons, scrolls, and branches. A few divisions of the ancient east window, with pointed tops, are yet visible; and in those are the carpenters' arms, in stained glass. The flooring is of marble, but is at present covered with wood, for the joint purpose of warmth and preservation. The house now used for the company's business, stands nearly contiguous, in a small court, and is embellished in front by Ionic pilasters, a pediment and Venetian window. The portraits of William Portington, esq.

master carpenter in the office of his majesty's buildings,

who died in , at the age of ; and John Scot, esq.

carpenter and carriage maker to the office of ordnance, in the reign of Charles the

Second

,

are mentioned by Strype as being in the old hall of this company.

On the north side of is the

 
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights