The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

The Boar's Head.

The Boar's Head.

The Boar's Head.

A few years ago the tavern was pulled down and two houses built upon its site, but the original sign still exists in the front of one of the houses.

The church of St. Martin Orgar's, which was burnt down in the fire of London, A. D. 1666, was situated on the east side of St. Martin's lane, Cannon-street, a rectory of very ancient foundation, for by the register of Ralph Diceto, dean of St. Paul's in the year 1181, we find it in the gift of the canons of St. Paul's cathedral. The name Orgar, added to it, was taken from Ordgarus the founder, who gave that and St. Botolph's, Billingsgate, to the said canons of St. Paul's.

There was a parsonage house, which was burnt down, and after it was rebuilt, let out at the ground rent of 5l. per ann. for forty years, to be paid to the rector and his successors.

The site of this church, after the fire, was made a burial place for the parishioners. However, part of the nave and tower being found repairable, a body of French protestants, in communion with the church of England, obtained a lease of the tower and ruinous nave from the minister and church-wardens, and got it confirmed by parliament: in pursuance of which, the purchasers re-erected the church for their own use.

Sir William Cromer, lord mayor of London in 1413, gave by his last will, dated 1421, his house in Sweeting's alley, and his houses and gardens in Crutched friars, for the repairs and ornaments of this church, and for the use of the poor.

The French church which was built upon its site after the great fire, must have been of smaller dimensions than the original, as a wide space remained between the front of it and the porch of the old church now existing. It was a plain edifice of brick, with arched windows, nearly square; the engraving below was taken from a sketch made a few days prior to its destruction, and will avoid the necessity of further.

 

A few years ago the tavern was pulled down and houses built upon its site, but the original sign still exists in the front of of the houses.

The church of St. Martin Orgar's, which was burnt down in the fire of London, A. D. , was situated on the east side of , , a rectory of very ancient foundation, for by the register of Ralph Diceto, dean of in the year , we find it in the gift of the canons of . The name Orgar, added to it, was taken from Ordgarus the founder, who gave that and St. Botolph's, , to the said canons of .

There was a parsonage house, which was burnt down, and after it was rebuilt, let out at the ground rent of per ann. for years, to be paid to the rector and his successors.

The site of this church, after the fire, was made a burial place for the parishioners. However, part of the nave and tower being found repairable, a body of French protestants, in communion with the church of England, obtained a lease of the tower and ruinous nave from the minister and church-wardens, and got it confirmed by parliament: in pursuance of which, the purchasers re-erected the church for their own use.

Sir William Cromer, lord mayor of London in , gave by his last will, dated , his house in Sweeting's alley, and his houses and gardens in , for the repairs and ornaments of this church, and for the use of the poor.

The French church which was built upon its site after the great fire, must have been of smaller dimensions than the original, as a wide space remained between the front of it and the porch of the old church now existing. It was a plain edifice of brick, with arched windows, nearly square; the engraving below was taken from a sketch made a few days prior to its destruction, and will avoid the necessity of further.

 
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights