The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3Allen, Thomas
Baynard Castle, 1660.
No trace now remains of this ancient and magnificent building the scene of so many eventful transactions. The above engraving of it is from Hollar's long view of London, taken circa, . The same fate has attended the castle of Montfitchet, and another castle, built by king Edward II. which, from being afterwards appropriated for the reception and residence of the pope's legates, was called Legate's-inn.
In the parish of St. Bennet, in , stood Le Neve inn, formerly belonging to John de Montague, earl of Salisbury, and after to John de Beauchamp, knt. granted to sir Thomas Erpingham, knt. of Erpingham in Norfolk, and warden of the cinque ports, K. G.
Opposite . before the fire of , was an extensive building, known as Beaumont's-inn, afterwards Huntingdon-house. It was in the possession of the noble family of that name in the of Edward III.
The city mansion of the family of Scroop was situated on the west side of . There were also Berkeley's-inn, or palace, in ; and the stately palace belonging to the priors of Okeburn, in Wiltshire, which stood in ; afterwards given by Henry VI. to , Cambridge.
In was also the inn of the abbot of Fescamp, in Normandy, which came into the hands of Edward III. who gave it to sir S. Burley, knight. It was situated between Baynard's castle and .