The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

Brewer's Hall.

Brewer's Hall.

The entrance consists of two columns of the Corinthian order, sustaining a broken pediment, in which are the arms of the company. This opens into a small paved court, having the hall in front, the basement of which is of stone, and the superstructure of red brick. The style of the building is anomalous, but approaches nearer to the Doric than to any other order. A high flight of steps, with a ballustrade, leads to the great door of the hall, above the basement; here, at the east end, is a handsome screen, and music gallery, adorned with composite columns, a frieze, cornice, and pediment, and some good carving, busts, &c. In the west window, dated 1774, (inclosed within a circular border of barley) are the arms of England, and those of Richard Platt, esq. a benefactor, 1599; under them those of Henry, lord Willoughby, of Parham, twice master. On the right is an emblem, the branch of a fig tree, with red fruit; dame Alice Owen, benefactress, 1614; and beneath the arms of Samuel, lord Hawley, four times master.

Over the master's chair is a well executed bust of Charles II.

In the court room, which was wainscotted to the ceiling, in 1670, at the charge of sir Samuel Starling, knt. who was lord mayor in that year, are portraits of James Hickson, esq. a whole length, in a scarlet gown and large ruff; Richard Platt, esq. aged 76, 1600, a half-length, in a black furred gown, with a prayer book, diminutive ruff, and little black cap. Mr. Platt was sheriff of London, and, in 1599, founded the free grammar school and alms-houses at Aldenham, in Hertfordshire; dame Alice Owen, aged 53, 1610, foundress of the school and alms-houses at Islington; and S. Whitbread, esq. a full quarter length, grandfather of the present S. Whitbread, esq. M. P. In the eastern window of this apartment, are the city arms, and St. Thomas Beckett's impaled with those of the see of Canterbury, in painted glass; and at the sides of the windows are portraits of Charles the first, and some other sovereign, probably James the second. Three oval windows in the north wall contain little paintings on glass. The first is a view of an ancient moated house, with a garden, and gate in front; the second the arms of Canterbury, with those of the company; and the third is another view of the above house.

This hall is under a general repair at the present time, (May, 1828.)

A short distance westward of the last edifice, in a small court, is

Plasterer's Hall, at present occupied by Mess. Hoale and Co. ironmongers. The hall is divided into two floors, the upper has a beautiful ceiling of plaster, enriched with the arms of the city, foliage, &c. In a window on the east side, are the arms of England, much mutilated.Engraved by Malcolm, vol. iii, p. 52. On the staircase flat is a painting of the conversion of St. Paul.

Opposite to Addle-street is Silver-street; so called from having been formerly inhabited by working silversmiths.

On the south side of Aldermanbury church, in Wood-street, stood a conduit, erected by sir William Eastfield, in 1438, for supplying the neighbouring inhabitants with water, from Tyburn; which being destroyed by the fire in 1666, was soon afterwards rebuilt: but, when the plentiful supply of water rendered these buildings useless, this, with those in Cheapside, and without Cripplegate, were pulled down in 1730, and the stones were employed in repairing the gate upon London-bridge.

In the reign of Richard II. sir Henry Percy, the son and heir of Henry Percy, earl of Northumberland, had a house in Wood-street in London, wherein he treated king Richard, the duke of Lancaster, the duke of York, the earl marshal, and his father, the earl of Northumberland, with others, at supper.

A compter was built in Wood-street, in 1555, for the reception of prisoners from the compter in Bread street.

On the west side of Wood-street, is Maiden lane, formerly called Ingene or Ing lane, but from what circumstance is not known: on the north side of which is

The entrance consists of columns of the Corinthian order, sustaining a broken pediment, in which are the arms of the company. This opens into a small paved court, having the hall in front, the basement of which is of stone, and the superstructure of red brick. The style of the building is anomalous, but approaches nearer to the Doric than to any other order. A high flight of steps, with a ballustrade, leads to the great door of the hall, above the basement; here, at the east end, is a handsome screen, and music gallery, adorned with composite columns, a frieze, cornice, and pediment, and some good carving, busts, &c. In the west window, dated , (inclosed within a circular border of barley) are the arms of England, and those of Richard Platt, esq. a benefactor, ; under them those of Henry, lord Willoughby, of Parham, twice master. On the right is an emblem, the branch of a fig tree, with red fruit; dame Alice Owen, benefactress, ; and beneath the arms of Samuel, lord Hawley, times master.

Over the master's chair is a well executed bust of Charles II.

In the court room, which was wainscotted to the ceiling, in , at the charge of sir Samuel Starling, knt. who was lord mayor in that year, are portraits of James Hickson, esq. a whole length, in a scarlet gown and large ruff; Richard Platt, esq. aged , , a half-length, in a black furred gown, with a prayer book, diminutive ruff, and little black cap. Mr. Platt was sheriff of London, and, in , founded the free grammar school and alms-houses at Aldenham, in Hertfordshire; dame Alice Owen, aged , , foundress of the school and alms-houses at ; and S. Whitbread, esq. a full quarter length, grandfather of the present S. Whitbread, esq. M. P. In the eastern window of this apartment, are the city arms, and St. Thomas Beckett's impaled with those of the see of Canterbury, in painted glass; and at the sides of the windows are portraits of Charles the , and some other sovereign, probably James the . oval windows in the north wall contain little paintings on glass. The is a view of an ancient moated house, with a garden, and gate in front; the the arms of Canterbury, with those of the company; and the is another view of the above house.

This hall is under a general repair at the present time, (.)

A short distance westward of the last edifice, in a small court, is

492

 

Plasterer's Hall, at present occupied by Mess. Hoale and Co. ironmongers. The hall is divided into floors, the upper has a beautiful ceiling of plaster, enriched with the arms of the city, foliage, &c. In a window on the east side, are the arms of England, much mutilated. On the staircase flat is a painting of the conversion of St. Paul.

Opposite to is ; so called from having been formerly inhabited by working silversmiths.

On the south side of church, in , stood a conduit, erected by sir William Eastfield, in , for supplying the neighbouring inhabitants with water, from Tyburn; which being destroyed by the fire in , was soon afterwards rebuilt: but, when the plentiful supply of water rendered these buildings useless, this, with those in , and without Cripplegate, were pulled down in , and the stones were employed in repairing the gate upon London-bridge.

In the reign of Richard II. sir Henry Percy, the son and heir of Henry Percy, earl of Northumberland, had a house in in London, wherein he treated king Richard, the duke of Lancaster, the duke of York, the earl marshal, and his father, the earl of Northumberland, with others, at supper.

A compter was built in , in , for the reception of prisoners from the compter in .

On the west side of , is , formerly called Ingene or Ing lane, but from what circumstance is not known: on the north side of which is

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Engraved by Malcolm, vol. iii, p. 52.

View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights