The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

The Bishops Palace.

The Bishops Palace.

The origin of this edifice does not appear, but that it existed as early as 1199, is evident from the foundation of a chantry in that year, for one priest, within the chapel of the palace, by the bishop William de St, Maria; another priest was afterwards added, by sir Gerard Braybroke and others; and both of them were united by bishop Clifford, in 1408. The palace was a building of great extent, and not unfrequently became the lodging-place of our kings and princes, as well as of foreign ambassadors. Here, we are informed by Froissart, Edward the third, and his queen were entertained, after a great tournament in Smithfield, and durynge al the feastes and justes, Froissart's Chron. vol ii. p. 104. made on the same occasion. The young Edward the fifth was also brought hither previous to his appointed coronation; Catharine of Arragon was likewise conducted to this palace to meet her spirited lover, prince Arthur, and after the nuptials at St. Paul's, the royal pair were splendidly entertained and lodged here during several days; and here in the reign of Edward the sixth, Margaret, queen dowager of Scotland, the king's aunt, was lodged and banquetted with equal splendour.

Among the Harleian manuscripts,No. 2296. is the copy of an indenture, executed by Edmund, bishop of London, June the third, second and third of Philip and Mary, to Thomas Darbieshire, conveying the old palace for the term of sixty-one years, at the accustomed yearlie rent of seven marks. This building suffered the general fate of the city in the great fire of 1666; it was situated near the site of the present Chapter House, which is a strong and regular fabric of brick, designed by sir Christopher Wren, and consisting of a large hall, and spacious apartments on the ground floor, with a commodious chapter-room, &c. above. The present town residence of the bishops of London is in St. James's square.

Near the east end of the bishop's palace, was situated Pardon- Church-Haugh, in which was a chapel, originally founded by Gilbert Becket (father to the celebrated archbishop of that name) who was portreve of London in the reign of Stephen, and who was buried within it. This chapel was rebuilt by dean Moore in the reign of Henry the fifth, and dedicated to St. Anne, and St. Thomas of Canterbury: agreeably to his intentions, a chantry was also founded here by his executors for three priests; to whom a fourth was added in the succeeding reign, by Walter Cakton. This chapel and plot of ground was environed, says Stow, by one great cloyster, about which was artificially, and richly painted, the dance of Machabre, or dance of Death, at the special request and dispence of Jenkin Carpenter [a citizen and mercer] in the raigne of Henry the sixth. Sur. of Lond. p. 264. Edit. 1592. This was a favourite subject with religious communities, and appears to have been originally designed from a poem, written by one Machabre, a German, in his own language, but afterwards translated into French, and painted with the corresponding delineations round the cloister of the church of the Holy Innocents, in Paris. This picture represented an extended train of all orders and degrees of men, from the Pope to the very lowest of the human race, each figure having Death for his partner; and the meagre spectre who leads the dance, being depicted shaking his waning hour-glass. Our own poet, Lydgate, who flourished about the year 1430, translated the French verses into English, and his lines have been preserved by Dugdale, who has also given a print of the subject.Dug. Mon. Ang. vol. i. p. 367. Horace Walpole remarks, that Holbein, by borrowing the thought, ennobled the pictures; this alludes to the famous Dance of Death, painted by that eminent artist at Basil--Brayley, ii. 312. Over the east side of the cloister was also a faire library, well furnished with faire-written books, in vellum, In Dug. Hist. St. Paul's, app. p. 61, is a catalogue of these books; one of the MS. is in the British Museum. founded in the reign of Henry the sixth, by Walter Shiryngton, a canon-residentiary of St. Paul's, chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster. This library, with the whole cloister, the tombs, and the chapel, was demolished in the year

1649, by order of the protector, Somerset, who wanted the materials for carrying on his extensive palace in the Strand.

On the north side of the church was also a spacious charnel house, with a chapel above; the latter of which was built about the year 1282, (tenth of Edward the first) at which time Henry Wallies, mayor of London, with other citizens, agreed to assign a yearly rent of ten marks towards the new building, and five marks for a chaplain, for cause of shops by them builded without the wall of the church-yard. Stow's Lond. p. 260. This foundation having fallen to decay, through a misapplication of the revenues, was re-endowed under licence from Henry the sixth, by Jenkyn Carpenter, and two brotherhoods were likewise established here. Several eminent citizens were interred in this chapel; three of whom, Robert Barton, sir Henry Barton, mayor in 1416, and sir Thomas Mirfine, mayor in 1518, were entombed, with their images of alabaster over them, grated about with iron. Ibid, p. 267. These tombs were all demolished in the year 1549, and the building was converted into warehouses and dwellings, with sheds for stationers builded before it. At the same time, the bones of the dead, which had been couched up in the charnel, and which, by report of him who paid for the carriage, amounted to more than 1000 cart loads, were conveyed into Finsbury field, and there on a moorish ground, in short space after raysed (by soylage of the citie) to bear three winde-milles. Ibid.

In the eastern quarter of the church-yard, near the north side of St. Paul's school, was of old time a great and high clochier (or bell-house) four square, builded of stone, and in the same, a most strong frame of timber, with foure belles, the greatest that I have heard off; these were called Jesus belles, and belonged to Jesus chapel. On the tower was a lofty spire of timber, covered with lead, erected about the year 1316, and having an image of St. Paul on the top. This bell tower was won at dice from Henry the eighth by sir Miles Partridge, knt. who caused the belles to be broken as they hung, the building to be taken down, and the materials sold. Stow says, that in place of this clochearde, of old times, the common bell of the citie was used to be roong for the assembly of the citizens to their folk-motes. Ibid

The origin of this edifice does not appear, but that it existed as early as , is evident from the foundation of a chantry in that year, for priest, within the chapel of the palace, by the bishop William de St, Maria; another priest was afterwards added, by sir Gerard Braybroke and others; and both of them were united by bishop Clifford, in . The palace was a building of great extent, and not unfrequently became the lodging-place of our kings and princes, as well as of foreign ambassadors. Here, we are informed by Froissart, Edward the , and his queen were entertained, after a great tournament in , and

durynge al the feastes and justes,

made on the same occasion. The young Edward the was also brought hither previous to his appointed coronation; Catharine of Arragon was likewise conducted to this palace to meet her spirited lover, prince Arthur, and after the nuptials at , the royal pair were splendidly entertained and lodged here during several days; and here in the reign of Edward the , Margaret, queen dowager of Scotland, the king's aunt, was lodged and banquetted with equal splendour.

583

 

Among the Harleian manuscripts, is the copy of an indenture, executed by Edmund, bishop of London, , and of Philip and Mary, to Thomas Darbieshire, conveying the old palace for the term of years, at the

accustomed yearlie rent of

seven marks

.

This building suffered the general fate of the city in the great fire of ; it was situated near the site of the present Chapter House, which is a strong and regular fabric of brick, designed by sir Christopher Wren, and consisting of a large hall, and spacious apartments on the ground floor, with a commodious chapter-room, &c. above. The present town residence of the bishops of London is in .

Near the east end of the bishop's palace, was situated Pardon- Church-Haugh, in which was a chapel, originally founded by Gilbert Becket (father to the celebrated archbishop of that name) who was portreve of London in the reign of Stephen, and who was buried within it. This chapel was rebuilt by dean Moore in the reign of Henry the , and dedicated to St. Anne, and St. Thomas of Canterbury: agreeably to his intentions, a chantry was also founded here by his executors for priests; to whom a was added in the succeeding reign, by Walter Cakton. This chapel and plot of ground was

environed,

says Stow,

by

one

great cloyster,

about which

was artificially, and richly painted, the dance of Machabre, or dance of Death, at the special request and dispence of Jenkin Carpenter [a citizen and mercer] in the raigne of Henry the

sixth

.

This was a favourite subject with religious communities, and appears to have been originally designed from a poem, written by Machabre, a German, in his own language, but afterwards translated into French, and painted with the corresponding delineations round the cloister of the church of the Holy Innocents, in Paris. This picture represented an extended train of all orders and degrees of men, from the Pope to the very lowest of the human race, each figure having Death for his partner; and the meagre spectre who leads the dance, being depicted shaking his waning hour-glass. Our own poet, Lydgate, who flourished about the year , translated the French verses into English, and his lines have been preserved by Dugdale, who has also given a print of the subject. Over the east side of the cloister was also

a faire library, well furnished with faire-written books, in vellum,

founded in the reign of Henry the , by Walter Shiryngton, a canon-residentiary of , chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster. This library, with the whole cloister, the tombs, and the chapel, was demolished in the year

584

 

, by order of the protector, Somerset, who wanted the materials for carrying on his extensive palace in the Strand.

On the north side of the church was also a spacious charnel house, with a chapel above; the latter of which was built about the year , ( of Edward the ) at which time Henry Wallies, mayor of London, with other citizens, agreed to assign a yearly rent of towards the new building, and for a chaplain,

for cause of shops by them builded without the wall of the church-yard.

This foundation having fallen to decay, through a misapplication of the revenues, was re-endowed under licence from Henry the , by Jenkyn Carpenter, and brotherhoods were likewise established here. Several eminent citizens were interred in this chapel; of whom, Robert Barton, sir Henry Barton, mayor in , and sir Thomas Mirfine, mayor in , were

entombed, with their images of alabaster over them, grated about with iron.

These tombs were all demolished in the year , and the building was converted into warehouses and dwellings, with sheds

for stationers builded before it.

At the same time, the bones of the dead, which had been

couched up in the charnel,

and which,

by report of him who paid for the carriage,

amounted

to more than

1000

cart loads,

were conveyed into Finsbury field,

and there on a moorish ground, in short space after raysed (by soylage of the citie) to bear

three

winde-milles.

In the eastern quarter of the church-yard, near the north side of school,

was of old time a great and high clochier (or bell-house)

four

square, builded of stone, and in the same, a most strong frame of timber, with foure belles, the greatest that I have heard off; these were called Jesus belles, and belonged to Jesus chapel.

On the tower was a lofty spire of timber, covered with lead, erected about the year , and having an image of St. Paul on the top. This bell tower was won at dice from Henry the by sir Miles Partridge, knt. who

caused the belles to be broken as they hung,

the building to be taken down, and the materials sold. Stow says, that

in place of this clochearde, of old times, the common bell of the citie was used to be roong for the assembly of the citizens to their folk-motes.

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Froissart's Chron. vol ii. p. 104.

[] No. 2296.

[] Sur. of Lond. p. 264. Edit. 1592.

[] Dug. Mon. Ang. vol. i. p. 367. Horace Walpole remarks, that Holbein, by borrowing the thought, ennobled the pictures; this alludes to the famous Dance of Death, painted by that eminent artist at Basil--Brayley, ii. 312.

[] In Dug. Hist. St. Paul's, app. p. 61, is a catalogue of these books; one of the MS. is in the British Museum.

[] Stow's Lond. p. 260.

[] Ibid, p. 267.

[] Ibid.

[] Ibid

View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights