The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

The Conduit.

The Conduit.

At the north end of Salisbury-square, in Fleet-street, formerly stood a water conduit, founded by Will. Eastfield, mayor: For the mayor and commonalty of London being possessed of a conduit head, with divers springs of water gathered thereinto, in the parish of Paddington, and the water conveyed from thence, by pipes of lead, towards London from Tyburn, where it had lain for the space of six years and more; the executors of sir William Eastfield obtained licence of the mayor and commonalty for them in the year 1453, with the goods of sir William, to convey the said waters, first in pipes of lead, into a pipe begun to be laid beside the great conduit head at Marybone, which stretches from thence to a separal, late before made against the chapel of Rounseval, by Charing-cross, and no further; and then from thence to convey the said water into the city, and there to make receipt or receipts for the same, to the commonweal of the commonalty, viz. the poor to drink, the rich to dress their meat; which water was by them brought into Fleet-street, to a standard which they had made and finished, 1471, near Shoe-lane.

The inhabitants of Fleet-street, in the year 1478, obtained licence of the mayor, aldermen, and commonalty, to make (at their own charges) two cisterns, the one to be set at the standard, the other at Fleet-bridge, for the receipt of the waste water. This cistern at the standard they built, and on the same a fair tower of stone, garnished with images of St. Christopher on the top, and angels round about lower down, with sweet-sounding bells before them; whereupon, by an engine placed in the tower, they, divers hours of the day and night, with hammers, chimed such an hymn as was appointed.

This conduit, or standard, was again new built, with a large cistern, at the charges of the city, in the year 1582.

Farther to the west are several streets, lanes, and alleys, erected on the site of the convent of the Carmelites, or White Friars, whose house and gardens extended from Fleet-street to the Thames.

In the year 1608, the inhabitants of this district obtained a charter from king James I. to entitle them to several liberties, privileges, and exemption from the jurisdiction of the city of London, which rendered the place an asylum for insolvent debtors, cheats, and gamesters, who gave it the name of Alsatia. But the inconveniences produced by this place of refuge, and the riotous proceedings carried on there, at length induced the legislature to interpose their authority, and in the year 1696, an act of parliament was passed to deprive the district of privileges so injurious to the community.

On the north side of Temple-bar, leading out of Fleet-street, is Shire-lane, so called because it divides the city from the shire, or county of Middlesex.

At the south-west corner of Chancery-lane was, prior to 1799, a curious old house of the reign of Edward VI. It was from the top of this house, that several cherubs flew down, and presented queen Elizabeth with a crown of laurels and gold, together with some verses, when she was going into the city upon a visit to sir

Thomas Gresham. This house, (engraved below)Ancient House, 1798 which was entirely of oak and plaister, was pulled down in 1799 by the corporation to widen Chancery-lane.

A house nearly adjoining this building was the residence of Isaack Walton, the author of the Art of Angling.

West from the entrance into the Temple, and at the extremity of the city liberties, is

At the north end of , in , formerly stood a water conduit, founded by Will. Eastfield, mayor:

For the mayor and commonalty of London being possessed of a conduit

head, with divers springs of water gathered thereinto, in the parish of Paddington, and the water conveyed from thence, by pipes of lead, towards London from Tyburn, where it had lain for the space of

six

years and more; the executors of sir William Eastfield obtained licence of the mayor and commonalty for them in the year

1453

, with the goods of sir William, to convey the said waters,

first

in pipes of lead, into a pipe begun to be laid beside the great conduit head at Marybone, which stretches from thence to a separal, late before made against the chapel of Rounseval, by Charing-cross, and no further; and then from thence to convey the said water into the city, and there to make receipt or receipts for the same, to the commonweal of the commonalty, viz. the poor to drink, the rich to dress their meat; which water was by them brought into

Fleet-street

, to a standard which they had made and finished,

1471

, near

Shoe-lane

.

The inhabitants of , in the year , obtained licence of the mayor, aldermen, and commonalty, to make (at their own charges) cisterns, the to be set at the standard, the other at Fleet-bridge, for the receipt of the waste water. This cistern at the standard they built, and on the same a fair tower of stone, garnished with images of St. Christopher on the top, and angels round about lower down, with sweet-sounding bells before them; whereupon, by an engine placed in the tower, they, divers hours of the day and night, with hammers, chimed such an hymn as was appointed.

This conduit, or standard, was again new built, with a large cistern, at the charges of the city, in the year .

Farther to the west are several streets, lanes, and alleys, erected on the site of the convent of the Carmelites, or White Friars, whose house and gardens extended from to the Thames.

In the year , the inhabitants of this district obtained a charter from king James I. to entitle them to several liberties, privileges, and exemption from the jurisdiction of the city of London, which rendered the place an asylum for insolvent debtors, cheats, and gamesters, who gave it the name of Alsatia. But the inconveniences produced by this place of refuge, and the riotous proceedings carried on there, at length induced the legislature to interpose their authority, and in the year , an act of parliament was passed to deprive the district of privileges so injurious to the community.

On the north side of Temple-bar, leading out of , is , so called because it divides the city from the shire, or county of Middlesex.

At the south-west corner of was, prior to , a curious old house of the reign of Edward VI. It was from the top of this house, that several cherubs flew down, and presented queen Elizabeth with a crown of laurels and gold, together with some verses, when she was going into the city upon a visit to sir

676

 

Thomas Gresham. This house, (engraved below)

which was entirely of oak and plaister, was pulled down in by the corporation to widen .

A house nearly adjoining this building was the residence of Isaack Walton, the author of

the Art of Angling.

West from the entrance into the Temple, and at the extremity of the city liberties, is

 
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights