The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

St. Michael, Queenhithe.

St. Michael, Queenhithe.

On the north side of Upper Thames-street, the east end abutting on Little Trinity-lane, and directly opposite to Queenhithe, is situated the parish church of St. Michael, Queenhithe; so called from its dedication to St. Michael the Archangel, and its situation near that hithe, or port. It was formerly called St. Michael de Cornhithe, all the corn brought to London from the western parts of the country being landed here. The earliest authentic mention of this church is in the year 1404, when Stephen Spilman, who had served the offices of alderman, sheriff, and chamberlain, died and left part of his goods to found a chantry here.

The patronage of this church is in the dean and chapter of St. Paul's, but is subject to the archdeacon. On its being rebuilt, the parish of Trinity the Less was annexed to it; and the patronage of the latter being in the dean and chapter of Canterbury, they and the dean and chapter of St. Paul's present alternately to the united living.

The plan is an oblong square; the tower at the west end. The elevation is handsome and possesses a superior character.

The west end is half occupied by the tower, and half by a vestibule. The former is in four stories ; in the three first are arched windows, and in the upper story a square-headed one, which is repeated in every face of the structure; the elevation is finished with a parapet, having a pine apple at each angle. A leaded spire rises above the parapet, it consists of four steps sustaining a square pedestal, with windows in each side, surmounted by an obelisk, finished with a vane in the form of a ship. The remainder of the western elevation of the church contains several small windows lighting the porch, and it is finished with a ballustrade; the south side of the porch has a doorway, surmounted by an elliptical pediment, over which is a window, and the elevation is finished with a ballustrade. The north elevation of the church is divided in the upright into two stories: the lower is a plain stylobate, the upper contains five semicircular headed windows; a cornice broken by the openings, crowns the piers between the windows, and serves as an impost to the arched heads; a second tier of windows, being entire circles, are formed immediately over the heads of the others, resting upon the sculptured keystones; each window in the lower tier has a double wreath of foliage above its head; the elevation is finished with a cornice of great projection, surmounted by a leaded parapet. The east front only differs from the north in extent; it has but three windows in each tier, the central ones being walled up. The north side is partially built against; the part which is open abuts on a small church-yard, and has windows as before, two in each tier. In the north front of the tower is a lintelled entrance; in other respects this aspect is a copy of the western.

A stone forming one of the quoins of the south-eastern angle of the building, probably the first stone of the superstructure, and which had been laid with ceremony, bears the following inscription:-- THIS CHVRCH WAS BVRN«D IN YE DREADFVLL FIRE IN YE YEARE 1666, AND WAS BEGAN TO BEE REBVILT IN YE YEARE 1676. WILL. WOODROPCHVRCHWARDENS THOMAS LYME.

The interior is plain, and unbroken by columns or arches; the porch at the south side of the tower leads into a spacious vestibule, occupying the vacancy beneath the organ gallery, now parted from the church by a screen. The ceiling is coved and pierced with arches above the upper range of windows, which spring from corbels formed of the upper portion of a Corinthian column; the centre of the ceiling is horizontal, forming a large pannel bounded by mouldings, the soffit enriched with a spiral wreath of leaves. The altar-screen, until the last repair, (A. D. 1823) was a painting of an architectural composition in the style of St. Bartholomew the Great,Described ante, p. 636. with the inscription SURSAM CORDA; the present is composed of four Corinthian pillars sustaining an entablature, the intercolumniations occupied with the usual inscriptions, and the whole painted in imitation of marble. A gallery crosses the west end, with a plain front, it contains a handsome organ; beneath the gallery is the font in a ballustrade; it is a handsome octangular basin of statuary marble, enriched with four cherubic heads, and the outer surface nearly covered with flowers and fruit in relief; the cover is oak. The pulpit is hexagonal, with a sounding board of the same form; it is affixed to the northern wall of the church, and below it are the reading and clerk's desks. The internal door-cases of the principal and a secondary entrance, at the east end of the north side, are enriched with pilasters of the Corinthian order.

The architect of this church was sir Christopher Wren: the expense to the nation of rebuilding it, after the great fire, was 4,364l. 3s. 8d.

The dimensions are, length 72 feet, breadth 40 feet, height 39, and height of steeple 135 feet.

There are no monuments worthy of notice in this church.

On the north side of , the east end abutting on , and directly opposite to , is situated the parish church of St. Michael, ; so called from its dedication to St. Michael the Archangel, and its situation near that hithe, or port. It was formerly called St. Michael de Cornhithe, all the corn brought to London from the western parts of the country being landed here. The earliest authentic mention of this church is in the year , when Stephen Spilman, who had served the offices of alderman, sheriff, and chamberlain, died and left part of his goods to found a chantry here.

The patronage of this church is in the dean and chapter of , but is subject to the archdeacon. On its being rebuilt, the parish of Trinity the Less was annexed to it; and the patronage of the latter being in the dean and chapter of Canterbury, they and the dean and chapter of present alternately to the united living.

The plan is an oblong square; the tower at the west end. The elevation is handsome and possesses a superior character.

The west end is half occupied by the tower, and half by a vestibule. The former is in stories ; in the are arched windows, and in the upper story a square-headed , which is repeated in every face of the structure; the elevation is finished with a parapet, having a pine apple at each angle. A leaded spire rises above the parapet, it consists of steps sustaining a square pedestal, with windows in each side, surmounted by an obelisk, finished with a vane in the form of a ship. The remainder of the

718

western elevation of the church contains several small windows lighting the porch, and it is finished with a ballustrade; the south side of the porch has a doorway, surmounted by an elliptical pediment, over which is a window, and the elevation is finished with a ballustrade. The north elevation of the church is divided in the upright into stories: the lower is a plain stylobate, the upper contains semicircular headed windows; a cornice broken by the openings, crowns the piers between the windows, and serves as an impost to the arched heads; a tier of windows, being entire circles, are formed immediately over the heads of the others, resting upon the sculptured keystones; each window in the lower tier has a double wreath of foliage above its head; the elevation is finished with a cornice of great projection, surmounted by a leaded parapet. The east front only differs from the north in extent; it has but windows in each tier, the central ones being walled up. The north side is partially built against; the part which is open abuts on a small church-yard, and has windows as before, in each tier. In the north front of the tower is a lintelled entrance; in other respects this aspect is a copy of the western.

A stone forming of the quoins of the south-eastern angle of the building, probably the stone of the superstructure, and which had been laid with ceremony, bears the following inscription:--

THIS CHVRCH WAS BVRN«D IN YE DREADFVLL

FIRE IN YE YEARE

1666

, AND WAS BEGAN TO

BEE REBVILT IN YE YEARE

1676

.

WILL. WOODROPCHVRCHWARDENS THOMAS LYME.

The interior is plain, and unbroken by columns or arches; the porch at the south side of the tower leads into a spacious vestibule, occupying the vacancy beneath the organ gallery, now parted from the church by a screen. The ceiling is coved and pierced with arches above the upper range of windows, which spring from corbels formed of the upper portion of a Corinthian column; the centre of the ceiling is horizontal, forming a large pannel bounded by mouldings, the soffit enriched with a spiral wreath of leaves. The altar-screen, until the last repair, (A. D. ) was a painting of an architectural composition in the style of St. Bartholomew the Great, with the inscription SURSAM CORDA; the present is composed of Corinthian pillars sustaining an entablature, the intercolumniations occupied with the usual inscriptions, and the whole painted in imitation of marble. A gallery crosses the west end, with a plain front, it contains a handsome organ; beneath the gallery is the font in a ballustrade; it is a handsome octangular basin of statuary marble, enriched with

719

cherubic heads, and the outer surface nearly covered with flowers and fruit in relief; the cover is oak. The pulpit is hexagonal, with a sounding board of the same form; it is affixed to the northern wall of the church, and below it are the reading and clerk's desks. The internal door-cases of the principal and a secondary entrance, at the east end of the north side, are enriched with pilasters of the Corinthian order.

The architect of this church was sir Christopher Wren: the expense to the nation of rebuilding it, after the great fire, was

The dimensions are, length feet, breadth feet, height , and height of steeple feet.

There are no monuments worthy of notice in this church.

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Described ante, p. 636.

View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights