The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

Painter Stainer's Hall.

Painter Stainer's Hall.

A neat brick edifice erected on the site of a more ancient building belonging to the company, which was destroyed in the great fire of 1666. Here, in different apartments, are various pictures, some of them of considerable merit, executed principally by persons who were members of this society. The hall is a lofty and well proportioned room: on the north side, is two Ionic columns and two pilasters, painted in imitation of scagliola, with gilt capitals; at the west end is the master's chair, above which is a small full length figure of his late majesty, and plaister busts of W. Pitt and the duke of Wellington. The ceiling is painted of an azure colour, with an eagle in the centre, as if sustaining the chandelier with its beak. The following pictures adorn the walls of this apartment: St. Luke writing his gospel, Van Somer: ruins; Griffiere, a good painting: reason governing strength, an emblematical picture, by Charles Catton, esq. R. A. given by the artist in 1794; Art and Envy, Hondius; a large upright landscape, by Lambert, with figures by Hogarth representing the story of the babe with bloody hands, from Spencer's Fairy Queen, the trees and foliage very fine: live fowl, flying, by Barlow, who designed the hearse for the interment of general Monk: a small piece, with three figures, by Laroone, who designed the procession at the coronation of William and Mary : still life, an imitation of scrolls, &c. by Taverner, a proctor of Doctor's Commons, who painted for his amusement: a flower piece, Everbrook: a large upright landscape, a sun-set, by Robert Aggas, 1679, presented by the artist, and forming an excellent specimen of his manner; with an ornamental tablature above it, by Trevett, who was a master of this company: Heraclitus and Democritus, Jacob Penn; and St. Luke, painting, by the same artist: a storm at sea, Sailmaker: a flower piece, given by John Edwards, the artist, 1790: fruit, with a squirrel, Smith, queen Anne, a medallion, supported by boys, Feilot: a calm at sea; a fine picture, nine feet six inches, by nine feet, Peter Monamy; with a smaller piece by the same artist, representing a storm at sea: sir John Brown, alderman in 1504, the first feoffee of the company's hall: a flower piece, Baptiste, jun. presented by himself: still life, Roestraten, or Ronsestratton; the fire of London, Waggoner; a long picture, six feet by one foot nine inches; the peace of Utrecht, an allegorical painting, by Sebastian Ricci, who executed the altar-piece at Chelsea college; David with Goliah's head; a flower piece, Montingo; a painter offering his works to Minerva, said by Modena, probably for Medina; bear-hunting, a small, and spirited picture, by Hondius, presented in 1778, by W. T. Sweet; Charles the first, a half length in a circular frame, supposed to have been copied from Vandyke, by Stone; queen Anne, full length, Dahl; death of Abel, Robert Smirke, esq. R. A. presented in 1779, by Mr. T. Mansfield, a memberof thecompany: Charles the second, whole length, Huysman; William the third, whole length, sir Godfrey Kneller, given by the artist; several small flower pieces, painters uncertain; martyrdom of St. Sebastian, by Hayls, or Hayes; Mr. deputy Sanders, gold-beater, a master of the company, 1680, in a circular frame, by John Closterman; Catherine, queen to Charles the second, whole length, Huysman; Angels appearing to the Shepherds, Colloni; Genius, represented as drawing from the Graces and other figures; a Magdalen, small, and very highly finished, by Gasper Smitz, or Smith, with the signature I. S. 1662: Camden, the celebrated antiquary, who was a member of this company, in his tabard, as Clarencieux, king at arms; a large flower piece, Baptiste, given by Charles Catton, esq. R. A. and a large picture of architecture of the Corinthian order, by Trevett. In the clerk's dining room, all the greater pannels are occupied by paintings of distinct subjects, as landscapes, history, ruins, &c. by various artists, painter-stainers; among them is Diana and Endymion by Parmentier, and a good picture of Perseus and Andromeda. It seems probable, that this apartment was thus fitted up soon after the rebuilding of the hall, subsequently to the great fire. In the court room is an old picture displaying three portraits, (three quarter lengths) of former masters of his company; a marble bust of Mr. Thomas Evans, master in 1687, and a considerable benefactor, by Edward Pierce, the younger, who sculptured the dragons on the monument. Above the bust is his arms, az. a fess between three fleur de lys or. repaired in 1824; a head of John Stock, esq. of Hampstead,Vide ante, p. 529. and a full length portrait of sir Jonathan Miles, knt. sheriff in 1806, and a Venetian view.

At the south east corner of St. Peter's-hill, is the churchyard of St. Peter, Paul's wharf. Some remains of the old church exist on the north side, and attached to the west wall is the following inscription: BEFORE ye late dreadfull fyer, THIS WAS ye parish church; OF ST. Peters, Paul's wharfe DEMOLISHED September 1666 AND was erected FOR a church-yarde Anno Domini 1675 This Stone was new Fac'd and Letter'd The Wall and Iron Pallisado's erected. MR. BOXELL TARVER Church Wardens. MR. WILLIAM HOLME Anno Domini, 1779.

A neat brick edifice erected on the site of a more ancient building belonging to the company, which was destroyed in the great fire of . Here, in different apartments, are various pictures, some of them of considerable merit, executed principally by persons who were members of this society. The hall is a lofty and well proportioned room: on the north side, is Ionic columns and pilasters, painted in imitation of scagliola, with gilt capitals; at the west end is the master's chair, above which is a small full length figure of his late majesty, and plaister busts of W. Pitt and the duke of Wellington. The ceiling is painted of an azure colour, with an eagle in the centre, as if sustaining the chandelier with its beak. The following pictures adorn the walls of this apartment:

St. Luke writing his gospel,

Van Somer:

ruins;

Griffiere, a good painting:

reason governing strength,

an emblematical picture, by Charles Catton, esq. R. A. given by the artist in ;

Art and Envy,

Hondius; a large upright

landscape,

by Lambert, with figures by Hogarth representing the story of the

babe with bloody hands,

from Spencer's Fairy Queen, the trees and foliage very fine:

live fowl,

flying, by Barlow, who designed the hearse for the interment of general Monk: a small piece, with

three

figures,

by Laroone, who designed the procession at the coronation of William and Mary :

still life,

an imitation of scrolls, &c. by Taverner, a proctor of Doctor's Commons, who painted for his amusement: a

flower piece,

Everbrook: a large upright

landscape,

a sun-set, by Robert Aggas, , presented by the artist, and forming an excellent specimen of his manner; with an ornamental

tablature

above it, by Trevett, who was a master of this company:

Heraclitus and Democritus,

Jacob Penn; and

St. Luke, painting,

by the same artist: a

storm at sea,

Sailmaker: a

flower piece,

given by John Edwards, the artist, :

fruit, with a squirrel,

Smith,

queen Anne, a medallion, supported by boys,

Feilot: a

calm at sea;

a fine picture, feet inches, by feet, Peter Monamy; with a smaller piece by the same artist, representing a

storm at sea:

sir John Brown,

alderman in , the

727

feoffee of the company's hall: a

flower piece,

Baptiste, jun. presented by himself:

still life,

Roestraten, or Ronsestratton;

the fire of London,

Waggoner; a long picture, feet by foot inches; the

peace of Utrecht,

an allegorical painting, by Sebastian Ricci, who executed the altar-piece at college;

David with Goliah's head;

a

flower piece,

Montingo;

a painter offering his works to Minerva,

said by Modena, probably for Medina;

bear-hunting,

a small, and spirited picture, by Hondius, presented in , by W. T. Sweet;

Charles the

first

,

a half length in a circular frame, supposed to have been copied from Vandyke, by Stone;

queen Anne,

full length, Dahl;

death of Abel,

Robert Smirke, esq. R. A. presented in , by Mr. T. Mansfield, a memberof thecompany:

Charles the

second

,

whole length, Huysman;

William the

third

,

whole length, sir Godfrey Kneller, given by the artist; several small

flower pieces,

painters uncertain;

martyrdom of St. Sebastian,

by Hayls, or Hayes;

Mr. deputy Sanders,

gold-beater, a master of the company, , in a circular frame, by John Closterman;

Catherine, queen to Charles the

second

,

whole length, Huysman;

Angels appearing to the Shepherds,

Colloni;

Genius, represented as drawing from the Graces and other figures

;

a Magdalen,

small, and very highly finished, by Gasper Smitz, or Smith, with the signature I. S. :

Camden,

the celebrated antiquary, who was a member of this company, in his tabard, as Clarencieux, king at arms; a large

flower piece,

Baptiste, given by Charles Catton, esq. R. A. and a large picture of

architecture of the Corinthian order,

by Trevett. In the clerk's dining room, all the greater pannels are occupied by paintings of distinct subjects, as landscapes, history, ruins, &c. by various artists, painter-stainers; among them is

Diana and Endymion

by Parmentier, and a good picture of

Perseus and Andromeda.

It seems probable, that this apartment was thus fitted up soon after the rebuilding of the hall, subsequently to the great fire. In the court room is an old picture displaying

three

portraits,

( quarter lengths) of former masters of his company; a marble bust of

Mr. Thomas Evans,

master in , and a considerable benefactor, by Edward Pierce, the younger, who sculptured the dragons on the monument. Above the bust is his arms, a fess between fleur de lys or. repaired in ; a head of

John Stock, esq.

of Hampstead, and a full length portrait of sir Jonathan Miles, knt. sheriff in , and a Venetian view.

At the south east corner of , is the churchyard of St. Peter, . Some remains of the old church exist on the north side, and attached to the west wall is the following inscription:

BEFORE ye late dreadfull fyer,

THIS WAS ye parish church;

OF ST. Peters, Paul's wharfe

DEMOLISHED

September 1666

AND was erected

FOR a church-yarde

Anno Domini

1675

This Stone was new Fac'd and Letter'd

The Wall and Iron Pallisado's erected.

MR. BOXELL TARVER Church Wardens.

MR. WILLIAM

HOLME

Anno Domini,

1779

.

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Vide ante, p. 529.

View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights