The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

New Corn Exchange.

New Corn Exchange.

The principal facade ranges with the houses on the east side of Mark-lane; it is made into a centre between two wings. The former consists of a portico or corridor composed of six fluted Doric columns from Grecian examples, raised on a continued plinth, and sustaining an entablature. The plinth is broken with three flights of steps, and two low windows, entrances to the vaults beneath the floor; in the entablature the triglyphs are omitted, and their place supplied by chaplets of wheat-ears instead of myrtle, as in the choragic monument of Thrasyllus at Athens. The cornice is charged with lion's heads at intervals, and the whole is surmounted by a blocking course; above the centre is a large pedestal crowned with a cornice, above which are the royal arms in stone, accompanied by ploughs and agricultural emblems. On the dado is inscribed CORN EXCHANGE. ERECTED 1828, PURSUANT TO ACT OF PARLIAMENT, 7TH GEO. IV. CAP. 55.

In the wall at the back of the corridor, are three lofty lintelled entrances leading to the interior of the market. The wings are in a plainer style, they are finished in antis, and are principally occupied by large windows divided in breadth by uprights, and transversely by an entablature continued from the centre, but which is made to project with the side elevations beyond the line of the former division. A singular and rather fantastic acroterium, borrowed from the works of Mr. Soane, is made the finish of the wings, the cymatium being broken in the front of it; it consists of a facade wall pierced with three arched openings, crowned with a cornice also charged with lion's heads, and flanked with pedestals having arched heads relieved with chaplets. The interior of the market is just finished, the roof is sustained on entablatures resting on twelve columns, of an order invented by the architect as characteristic of the uses of the building, having capitals composed of wheat sheaves. The whole facade is substantially built with stone; the dimensions are colossal and grand. The architect is G. Smith, esq. from whose designs the new tower of the Royal Exchange,Vide ante, p. 454. and St. Paul's School,Vide ante, p. 592. were built.

In Water-lane is the old Trinity house, a large brick building, occupying three sides of a square. Over the front is the following inscription: This house was rebuilt after the fire of London, in 1666, and rebuilt after the fire in Thames-street, 1718.

Between Beer-lane and Water-lane, is a large mansion of brick, at present in the occupation of Messrs. Urwick and Co. wine merchants; but formerly the residence of the patriotic alderman Beckford.

On the east side of Harp lane is

The principal facade ranges with the houses on the east side of ; it is made into a centre between wings. The former consists of a portico or corridor composed of fluted Doric columns from Grecian examples, raised on a continued plinth, and sustaining an entablature. The plinth is broken with flights of steps, and low windows, entrances to the vaults beneath the floor; in the entablature the triglyphs are omitted, and their place supplied by chaplets of wheat-ears instead of myrtle, as in

750

the choragic monument of Thrasyllus at Athens. The cornice is charged with lion's heads at intervals, and the whole is surmounted by a blocking course; above the centre is a large pedestal crowned with a cornice, above which are the royal arms in stone, accompanied by ploughs and agricultural emblems. On the dado is inscribed

CORN EXCHANGE

.

ERECTED

1828

, PURSUANT TO ACT OF PARLIAMENT,

7TH

GEO. IV. CAP.

55

.

In the wall at the back of the corridor, are lofty lintelled entrances leading to the interior of the market. The wings are in a plainer style, they are finished in antis, and are principally occupied by large windows divided in breadth by uprights, and transversely by an entablature continued from the centre, but which is made to project with the side elevations beyond the line of the former division. A singular and rather fantastic acroterium, borrowed from the works of Mr. Soane, is made the finish of the wings, the cymatium being broken in the front of it; it consists of a facade wall pierced with arched openings, crowned with a cornice also charged with lion's heads, and flanked with pedestals having arched heads relieved with chaplets. The interior of the market is just finished, the roof is sustained on entablatures resting on columns, of an order invented by the architect as characteristic of the uses of the building, having capitals composed of wheat sheaves. The whole facade is substantially built with stone; the dimensions are colossal and grand. The architect is G. Smith, esq. from whose designs the new tower of the , and School, were built.

In is the old Trinity house, a large brick building, occupying sides of a square. Over the front is the following inscription:

This house was rebuilt after the fire of London, in

1666

, and rebuilt after the fire in

Thames-street

,

1718

.

Between and , is a large mansion of brick, at present in the occupation of Messrs. Urwick and Co. wine merchants; but formerly the residence of the patriotic alderman Beckford.

On the east side of is

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Vide ante, p. 454.

[] Vide ante, p. 592.

View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights