The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

Cutler's Hall.

Cutler's Hall.

A plain brick building, totally devoid of architectural ornament. It appears from ancient records that Richard de Wllehale, in 1295, confirmed to Paul Butelar this house, and the edifices, in the parish of St. Michael Paternoster church, and St. John upon Walbrook; which some time Lawrence Gisors, and his son Peter Gisors, did possess, and afterwards Hugo de Higham; and lieth between the tenement of the said Richard towards the south, and the lane called Horse-shoe-bridge towards the north; and between the way called Paternoster church on the west, and the course of Walbrooke on the east, paying yearly one clove of gilliflowers at Easter, and to the priory and convent of St. Mary Overy, 6s. This house some time belonged to Simon Dolesty, grocer, mayor in the year 1359.

The hall is a large apartment, with a music gallery at the north end. Over the master's chair is a portrait of Mrs. Margaret Craythorne, widow of John Craythorne, a worthy benefactress, 1569.She gave the company the Belle Sauvage Inn, Ludgate-hill. In the windows are several shields of arms of masters of the company in stained glass. From one it appears that the foundation of this hall was laid in 1667.

The court room, which is on the second floor, is a handsome apartment, in the windows are twelve shields of stained glass, and over the mantel-piece is another portrait of Mrs. Craythorne, and in the lobby is apparently the original painted on pannel.

On the north side of Great Trinity-lane is the

A plain brick building, totally devoid of architectural ornament. It appears from ancient records that Richard de Wllehale, in , confirmed to Paul Butelar this house, and the edifices, in the parish of St. Michael Paternoster church, and St. John upon ; which some time Lawrence Gisors, and his son Peter Gisors, did possess, and afterwards Hugo de Higham; and lieth between the tenement of the said Richard towards the south, and the lane called Horse-shoe-bridge towards the north; and between the way called Paternoster church on the west, and the course of Walbrooke on the east, paying yearly clove of gilliflowers at Easter, and to the priory and convent of St. Mary Overy, This house some time belonged to Simon Dolesty, grocer, mayor in the year .

The hall is a large apartment, with a music gallery at the north end. Over the master's chair is a portrait of Mrs. Margaret Craythorne, widow of John Craythorne, a worthy benefactress, . In the windows are several shields of arms of masters of the company in stained glass. From it appears that the foundation of this hall was laid in .

The court room, which is on the floor, is a handsome apartment, in the windows are shields of stained glass, and over the mantel-piece is another portrait of Mrs. Craythorne, and in the lobby is apparently the original painted on pannel.

On the north side of is the

 
 
Footnotes:

[] She gave the company the Belle Sauvage Inn, Ludgate-hill.

View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights