The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

Aldgate.

Aldgate.

Aldgate

Aldgate, or Ealdgate, (which signifies Old Gate,) was situate adjoining to Houndsditch, and was one of the four original gates of the city, and that through which the Roman vicinal way led to the Trajectus, or ferry at Old-ford. The earliest mention we can find of it, is in a charter granted by king Edgar, about the year 967.

This gate being in a very ruinous condition, was pulled down in the year 1606, and re-built; but it was not completed till 1609

In digging the foundation, several Roman coins were discovered, resemblances of two of which Mr. Bond, one of the surveyors of the work, caused to be cut in stone, and placed on each aide of the east front, where they remained till the demolition of the gate.

In a large square, on the same side of the gate, was placed the statue of king James I. in gilt armour, with a golden lion, and a chained unicorn, both couchant at his feet.

On the west side of the gate was a figure of Fortune, gilt, and standing on a globe, with a prosperous sail spreading over her head; under which was carved the king's arms, with the motto, Dieu et mon droit, and a little below it, Vivat Rex; somewhat lower, on the south side, stood Peace, with a dove perched on one hand, and a gilded wreath in the other.

On the north side of the gate was the figure of Charity, with a child at her breast, and another in her hand.

On the top of the gate was a vane, supported by a gilt sphere; on each ride of which stood a soldier holding a bullet in his hand, on the top of the upper battlements.

Over the arch of the gate were carved the following words: Senatus Populusque Londinensis, Fecit, 1609, HUMPHREY WELD, Maior.

There were two posterns through this gate; that on the south side of which was made as late as the year 1731. There was likewise apartments over the gate, which were appropriated to the use of one of the lord mayor's carvers, but had, of late years, been used as a charity-school.

In the neighbourhood of this gate, lived and died the able historian of the city, John Stowe.

On the south side of Fenchurch street, opposite the pump, among other large and handsome houses was one, sometime belonging to the prior of Monte Jovis or Monastrie Cornute, (Horn-church) in Essex. It was the prior's inn when he came to London.

A little to the north of St. James's church, in Duke's Place, is a jews' synagogue, which has been so enlarged as almost to join the church.

Besides this there are three other synagogues in this ward; a Portuguese one near the north end of Bevis Marks, by Londonwall; one in Church-row, for Hamburgh Jews, and a third in a building which was formerly Bricklayers'-hall, situate behind the houses that are nearly opposite to St. Catherine Cree-church, and which was new built in 1820; over the entrance from Leadenhall-street are the Bricklayers'-arms.

All those synagogues are of plain exterior, being built of brick; the interiors are handsomely fitted up with galleries, gilt and decorated in a fanciful style.

The west wall of the synagogue in Duke's Place, is railed, and contains the Sanctum Sanctorum, where are deposited the sacred volumes, which are taken out and re-placed with great ceremony.

Over this on the wall, are painted in Hebrew characters, without points, the ten commandments.

In the front of this building, over the porch, is a large hall purposely appointed for the celebration of the wedding of poor Jews. A considerable degree of ceremony is always attached to these connubial contracts, and that the poorer classes may not be prejudiced by the expence, the whole society assist them by a subscription.

 

, or Ealdgate, (which signifies Old Gate,) was situate adjoining to , and was of the original gates of the city, and that through which the Roman vicinal way led to the , or ferry at Old-ford. The earliest mention we can find of it, is in a charter granted by king Edgar, about the year .

This gate being in a very ruinous condition, was pulled down in the year , and re-built; but it was not completed till

In digging the foundation, several Roman coins were discovered, resemblances of of which Mr. Bond, of the surveyors of the work, caused to be cut in stone, and placed on each aide of the east front, where they remained till the demolition of the gate.

In a large square, on the same side of the gate, was placed the statue of king James I. in gilt armour, with a golden lion, and a chained unicorn, both couchant at his feet.

On the west side of the gate was a figure of Fortune, gilt, and standing on a globe, with a prosperous sail spreading over her head; under which was carved the king's arms, with the motto,

Dieu et mon droit

, and a little below it,

Vivat Rex

; somewhat lower, on the south side, stood Peace, with a dove perched on hand, and a gilded wreath in the other.

On the north side of the gate was the figure of Charity, with a child at her breast, and another in her hand.

On the top of the gate was a vane, supported by a gilt sphere; on each ride of which stood a soldier holding a bullet in his hand, on the top of the upper battlements.

Over the arch of the gate were carved the following words:

Senatus Populusque Londinensis,

Fecit,

1609

,

HUMPHREY WELD, Maior.

There were posterns through this gate; that on the south side of which was made as late as the year . There was likewise

88

apartments over the gate, which were appropriated to the use of of the lord mayor's carvers, but had, of late years, been used as a charity-school.

In the neighbourhood of this gate, lived and died the able historian of the city, John Stowe.

On the south side of , opposite the pump, among other large and handsome houses was , sometime belonging to the prior of Monte Jovis or , (Horn-church) in Essex. It was the prior's inn when he came to London.

A little to the north of St. James's church, in Duke's Place, is a jews' synagogue, which has been so enlarged as almost to join the church.

Besides this there are other synagogues in this ward; a Portuguese near the north end of , by Londonwall; in , for Hamburgh Jews, and a in a building which was formerly Bricklayers'-hall, situate behind the houses that are nearly opposite to St. Catherine Cree-church, and which was new built in ; over the entrance from are the Bricklayers'-arms.

All those synagogues are of plain exterior, being built of brick; the interiors are handsomely fitted up with galleries, gilt and decorated in a fanciful style.

The west wall of the synagogue in Duke's Place, is railed, and contains the , where are deposited the sacred volumes, which are taken out and re-placed with great ceremony.

Over this on the wall, are painted in Hebrew characters, without points, the commandments.

In the front of this building, over the porch, is a large hall purposely appointed for the celebration of the wedding of poor Jews. A considerable degree of ceremony is always attached to these connubial contracts, and that the poorer classes may not be prejudiced by the expence, the whole society assist them by a subscription.

 
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights