The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

Ironmonger's Hall.

Ironmonger's Hall.

A noble edifice, erected in 1748, and is either the third or fourth that has been raised on the same site. The original hall was rebuilt in the reign of queen Elizabeth.

The south front of this building is the only portion which is visible from the street; it is entirely faced with Portland stone, and consists of a centre and wings. The basement story is rusticated, and has an arched entrance in the centre, the key stone carved with the head of a warrior in an antique helmet; on each side of the entrance are three square headed windows. Above the basement the centre division is enriched with four Ionic pilasters sustaining an entablature and pediment. The central space, which is the widest, contains a Venetian window of large dimensions, the pillars Ionic, and a circular one above; the whole is inscribed in an arch; between the lateral pilasters are two series of windows, the lower square headed covered with pediments, the upper circular. The wings contain two series of windows, the lower of which have arched heads, and the upper are square; the elevations are finished with an entablature and attic ballustrade, on the cornice of which are placed at intervals large vases, as well as on the apex of the pediment. The tympanum of the pediment has the arms of the Company between two cornucopia sculptured upon it. Beneath one of the windows in the western wing inscribed Thomas Holden, Architect, 1748.

The vestibule is spacious, and divided into avenues by six columns of the Tuscan order: on the right, is the entrance to the Court Room, which is a handsome apartment, having a small niche in the north wall, containing a well carved statue of Edward the fourth, in armour, with a regal mantle, and crowned; below it are two antique chairs, loaded with carvings of the Company's arms: here also are portraits of Nicholas Leate, esq. master in 1626-7, and Mr. John Child, senior warden 1782; the latter is a clever picture: the pannel over the chimney-piece, exhibits a tolerable painting of Westminster Bridge. In the with-drawing Room, to which there is an approach by a very handsome oval geometrical staircase, is a small statue of sir Robert Geffrey, knt. lord-mayor, in 1686, the benevolent founder of the Ironmongers' Almshouses, or Hospital in Kingsland-road: the chimney-piece in this room is of marble and particularly elegant: to this room has been added a corridor from the grand staircase across the court yard.

The hall, or state-room, is a spacious and magnificent apartment, the grand stairs leading to it from the vestibule. At the termination of the first flight is a statue of St. Lawrence, with the emblem of his martyrology, the gridiron, and on the wall a large painting of sir Robert Geffery, whose statue was before mentioned, in his alderman's robes, a laced band, large wig, and square-toed shoes; this gentleman, besides a gift to the company of 200l. and two silver flagons of thirty pounds each, bequeathed to them in trust a very considerable property, for benevolent and pious uses. The entrance opens by folding doors, and is decorated with Ionic ornaments, a divided pediment, and a good bust. It contains two fire-places; one on the north side, and the other at the east end, beneath the orchestra, which is supported by two pillars: on the north side also, is a grand beaufet, adorned with Ionic columns and pilasters. Behind the chairs of the master and wardens, which stand against the west wall, are some extremely rich carvings, in the midst of which, are the royal arms of England. The whole room above the windows, is encompassed by a cornice, from which rises a semi-oval ceiling, richly stuccoed with the Company's arms, satyrs' heads, cornucopias, palm-branches, flowers, scrolls, and three large pannels, enclosed by elaborate and elegant borders. The ceiling is coloured of a French grey, but the ornaments are white, as are the walls, and the carvings are gilt. Here are several portraits, most of which are inscribed with the words a good, or a worthy benefactor. It is probable, as Mr. Malcolm has observed, the oldest were painted by Edward Cocke, as the wardens in the year 1640 agreed to pay him 3l. 5s. each, for five pictures more of benefactors. Lond. Red vol. ii. 36.

In a window on the north side is a curious small whole length, in painted glass, of sir Christopher Draper, lord mayor in 1586, who is depicted standing in a niche, with a roll of paper in one hand, and his gloves in the other; and wearing his chain of the office of mayoralty; the colours, with the exception of the face, are clear and bright. This gentleman gave the ground, on which the hall and two adjoining houses now stand, to the company. The other portraits are as follow: Mrs. Margaret Dane, kneeling before a book, in a scarlet robe, black cap, ruff, &c.; she bequeathed 2000l. to the company for charitable uses, in May 1579 Mr. Thomas Allwood, who gave 400l. for the maintenance of four poor scholars at the university. Mr. Thomas Lewin, whose bequest of a great message and garden, in 1545, had almost induced the company to convert his mansion into a new hall. Mr. Ralph Handson, a former clerk to the company, who, in January, 1653, bequeathed the rents of five messuages in the parish of St. Olave, Hart-street, of the then annual value of 71l . 10s. for charitable purposes. The estate thus bequeathed, was let to the East India Company, (in the year 1808), at the yearly rent of 300l. for the term of 378 years, renewable every twenty-one years, on payment of a fine of 500l. at each renewal. Sir William Denham, alderman, in a ruff and civic robes. Six James Cambell, alderman, with a white beard and hair: this gentleman bequeathed 1000l. to be lent in portions of 100l. to ten young men, free of the company, for three years, at 4 per cent per annum, the interest to be given to the sheriff, for relieving honest poor freemen of London from confinement, not exceeding five pounds to each.« Thomas Michell, who, in April, 1527, gave to the company a croft of land estimated at ten acres, situated in Old-street (where St. Luke's church and Ironmonger-row now stand) together with a messuage called the Ship, in the parish of St. Mildred in the Poultry: he is represented in a small ruff, black gown, and chesnut-coloured hair. Mr. Rowland Heylyn. Thomas Thorold, esq. sir Samuel Thorold, knt. Mr. Thomas Betton, who devised a considerable property to the company for various benevolent purposes, but particularly for the ransoming of British subjects, captives in Barbary or Turkey: this is a fine and well-coloured picture. A portrait of Thomas Hanbey, esq., presented by John Hillman, esq. master, in 1827. Admiral lord viscount Hood, by Gainsborough; given by his lordship on his admission into this company, after having been presented with the freedom of the city for his meritorious services. This picture is much esteemed for the excellence of the likeness; his lordship is represented in an admiral's uniform, resting on the fluke of an anchor, with a telescope in his hand resting on his arm.

In the parish of St. Catherine Coleman was the manor of Blanch Appleton, now called Blind-chapel-court, at the north-east corner of Mark-lane. In the third of Edward IV., all basket-makers, wine drawers, and other foreigners, were permitted to have shops in the manor of Blanch Appleton, and no where else within the city or suburbs.

It also appears that the noble family of the Bohuns, earls of Hereford, had a house here called Blanchappulton, which, in 1421, on the division of the estate of Humphrey de Bohun, the last earl of Hereford, between king Henry V. and Anne, countess of Strafford, his grandchildren and coheirs, was allotted to the king.Parl. Rolls, vol, iv. 136.

London-street, in this ward, is so called from being built on the spot where the London tavern, the first house of that description in the city formerly stood.

Northumberland-alley, on the north side of Fenchurch-street, is so called from the mansion-house of the two earls of Northumberland, in the reign of Henry VI. The first lost his life in the battle of St. Albans, and the last, his son, at the battle of Towton. Being afterwards deserted by the Percys, the gardens were made into bowling-alleys, and other parts into dicing houses; but in Stowe's time they were forsaken, and converted into a number of small cottages for strangers and others.

At the end of Gunpowder-alley, Crutched Friars, are ten almshouses for poor men and their wives, being the gift of lord Banning, who bequeathed, in 1625, 1220l. for buying land in the parish of St. Olave, for an hospital or almshouse. They were afterwards called the Oxford alms-houses, the earl marrying an heiress of the Bannings. In Maitland's time it appears they had but small allowances. They were sold to sir William Rawlings, knt., in 1807, but a decree in Chancery has been obtained to place them on a regular footing.

At the north end of Cooper's-row, on the west side, are

A noble edifice, erected in , and is either the or that has been raised on the same site. The original hall was rebuilt in the reign of queen Elizabeth.

The south front of this building is the only portion which is visible from the street; it is entirely faced with Portland stone, and consists of a centre and wings. The basement story is rusticated, and has an arched entrance in the centre, the key stone carved with the head of a warrior in an antique helmet; on each side of the entrance are square headed windows. Above the basement the centre division is enriched with Ionic pilasters sustaining an entablature and pediment. The central space, which is the widest, contains a Venetian window of large dimensions, the pillars Ionic, and a circular above; the whole is inscribed in an arch; between the lateral pilasters are series of windows, the lower square headed covered with pediments, the upper circular. The wings contain series of windows, the lower of which have arched heads, and the upper are square; the elevations are finished with an entablature and attic ballustrade, on the cornice of which are placed at intervals large vases, as well as on the apex of the pediment. The tympanum of the pediment has the arms of the Company between cornucopia sculptured upon it. Beneath of the windows in the western wing inscribed Thomas Holden, Architect, .

The vestibule is spacious, and divided into avenues by columns of the Tuscan order: on the right, is the entrance to the Court Room, which is a handsome apartment, having a small niche in the north wall, containing a well carved statue of Edward the , in armour, with a regal mantle, and crowned; below it are antique chairs, loaded with carvings of the Company's arms: here also are portraits of Nicholas Leate, esq. master in -, and Mr. John Child, senior warden ; the latter is a clever picture: the pannel over the chimney-piece, exhibits a tolerable painting of

Westminster Bridge

.

In the with-drawing Room, to which there is an approach by a very handsome oval geometrical staircase, is a small statue of sir Robert Geffrey, knt. lord-mayor, in , the benevolent founder of the

Ironmongers' Almshouses

,

or

Hospital

in Kingsland-road: the chimney-piece in this room is of marble and

92

particularly elegant: to this room has been added a corridor from the grand staircase across the court yard.

The hall, or state-room, is a spacious and magnificent apartment, the grand stairs leading to it from the vestibule. At the termination of the flight is a statue of St. Lawrence, with the emblem of his martyrology, the gridiron, and on the wall a large painting of sir Robert Geffery, whose statue was before mentioned, in his alderman's robes, a laced band, large wig, and square-toed shoes; this gentleman, besides a gift to the company of and silver flagons of each, bequeathed to them in trust a very considerable property, for benevolent and pious uses. The entrance opens by folding doors, and is decorated with Ionic ornaments, a divided pediment, and a good bust. It contains fire-places; on the north side, and the other at the east end, beneath the orchestra, which is supported by pillars: on the north side also, is a grand beaufet, adorned with Ionic columns and pilasters. Behind the chairs of the master and wardens, which stand against the west wall, are some extremely rich carvings, in the midst of which, are the royal arms of England. The whole room above the windows, is encompassed by a cornice, from which rises

a semi-oval ceiling, richly stuccoed with the Company's arms, satyrs' heads, cornucopias, palm-branches, flowers, scrolls, and

three

large pannels,

enclosed by elaborate and elegant borders. The ceiling is coloured of a French grey, but the ornaments are white, as are the walls, and the carvings are gilt. Here are several portraits, most of which are inscribed with the words

a good,

or a

worthy benefactor.

It is probable, as Mr. Malcolm has observed,

the oldest

were painted by Edward Cocke, as the wardens in the year

agreed to pay him

3l.

5s.

each, for

five

pictures more of benefactors.

In a window on the north side is a curious small whole length, in painted glass, of sir Christopher Draper, lord mayor in , who is depicted standing in a niche, with a roll of paper in hand, and his gloves in the other; and wearing his chain of the office of mayoralty; the colours, with the exception of the face, are clear and bright. This gentleman gave the ground, on which the hall and adjoining houses now stand, to the company. The other portraits are as follow:

In the parish of St. Catherine Coleman was the manor of Blanch Appleton, now called Blind-chapel-court, at the north-east corner of . In the of Edward IV., all basket-makers, wine drawers, and other foreigners, were permitted to have shops in the manor of Blanch Appleton, and no where else within the city or suburbs.

It also appears that the noble family of the Bohuns, earls of Hereford, had a house here called Blanchappulton, which, in , on the division of the estate of Humphrey de Bohun, the last earl of Hereford, between king Henry V. and Anne, countess of Strafford, his grandchildren and coheirs, was allotted to the king.

, in this ward, is so called from being built on the spot where the London tavern, the house of that description in the city formerly stood.

, on the north side of , is so called from the mansion-house of the earls of Northumberland,

94

in the reign of Henry VI. The lost his life in the battle of St. Albans, and the last, his son, at the battle of Towton. Being afterwards deserted by the Percys, the gardens were made into bowling-alleys, and other parts into dicing houses; but in Stowe's time they were forsaken, and converted into a number of small cottages for strangers and others.

At the end of , , are almshouses for poor men and their wives, being the gift of lord Banning, who bequeathed, in , for buying land in the parish of St. Olave, for an hospital or almshouse. They were afterwards called the Oxford alms-houses, the earl marrying an heiress of the Bannings. In Maitland's time it appears they had but small allowances. They were sold to sir William Rawlings, knt., in , but a decree in Chancery has been obtained to place them on a regular footing.

At the north end of , on the west side, are

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Lond. Red vol. ii. 36.

[] Parl. Rolls, vol, iv. 136.

View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights