The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

St. James' Church, Duke's Place.

St. James' Church, Duke's Place.

The inhabitants of this parish, previous to the dissolution of the adjacent priory, resorted to a chapel, which stood in the cemetery of that establishment. In the year 1622 the parish obtained a licence to erect a church for themselves. The archbishop of Canterbury, with the lord mayor and sheriffs, assisted them in this new erection, which, in all probability was nothing more than a reparation of the ancient chapel, and the conversion of into a parish church, which, in honour of the reigning monarch, was dedicated to St. James. The body was rebuilt, or nearly so, in the year 1727.

The building is nearly square, being 42 feet in breadth and 65 in length, the height 27 feet. The tower is situated on the north side of the church, adjacent to the west front; but only connected by its south wall with the present building. The whole is at present built or faced with brick; the church is very plain; the west front has two arched doorways, and above them three windows, with semicircular heads; a similar window is in the south wall, and three windows of the same form in the east end. The north side has an entrance, but no window; the present appearance was given to the building in 1727. The tower is evidently older than the first restoration of the church. It is in four stories, and square in its plan; its height is 70 feet. The basement contains, in the west front, a doorway, with an obtusely pointed arch, and a stone window-case of the same form, as well as a small semicircular headed window, the arch turned in brick-work The remaining stories have semicircular arched windows; those of the upper story are repeated on every side of the structure: it is finished with a plain parapet, and on the platform is a small turret, containing a bell; the whole of the turret is faced with a coating of red brick, of the date of 1622, which has been repaired with the modern brick of the period of its reparation in 1727; the tower itself is evidently older than the first period, as pointed windows of two lights with mullions, having trefoil heads worked in stone, may still be seen within the modern brick openings in the casing. The original structure was, no doubt, the tower of the cemetery chapel before mentioned; and the church itself, after the first repair, probably presented the appearance of a stone building, repaired and faced with brick; this supposition alone accounts for its decay in the course of a century, as the exterior of the present building is certainly not older than the last repair. The interior has much the appearance of a dissenting meeting; it is divided in breadth into three aisles by four doric columns, raised on plinths, and sustaining an entablature, all of wood. The shafts are now coloured in imitation of yellow, and the rest of the order of veined marble. The ceiling, which rests on these columns, is flat and unornamented. The pulpit, and much of the woodwork, are of the date of 1622; the altar-screen, which has the commandments, &c. on arched pannels, and is ornamented with pilasters and painted cherubs in the spandrils, is an addition at the last repair; above it are paintings of Moses and Aaron. The font is a circular basin of free-stone, on a single pillar of the same material. In the central eastern window are six coats of arms in stained glass, with other detached remains, evidently taken from a mullioned window. Among the arms are those of sir Edward Barkham, the lord mayor at the time of their first rebuilding; the city arms, and those of the company of Clothworkers; the two former have been removed from another window. The remaining pieces of glass shew the Hebrew name of the Deity, a sun, and also fragments of canopies. The organ was set up in 1816. There are no ancient monuments, but some modern ones, which are merely mural slabs. The church is almost surrounded by a burying-ground, the ancient cemetery of the priory,; in contains, however, no monument of interest.

The inhabitants of this parish, previous to the dissolution of the adjacent priory, resorted to a chapel, which stood in the cemetery of that establishment. In the year the parish obtained a licence to erect a church for themselves. The archbishop of Canterbury, with the lord mayor and sheriffs, assisted them in this new erection, which, in all probability was nothing more than a reparation of the ancient chapel, and the conversion of into a parish church, which, in honour of the reigning monarch, was dedicated to St. James. The body was rebuilt, or nearly so, in the year .

The building is nearly square, being feet in breadth and in length, the height feet. The tower is situated on the north side of the church, adjacent to the west front; but only connected by its south wall with the present building. The whole is at present built or faced with brick; the church is very plain; the west front has arched doorways, and above them

70

windows, with semicircular heads; a similar window is in the south wall, and windows of the same form in the east end. The north side has an entrance, but no window; the present appearance was given to the building in . The tower is evidently older than the restoration of the church. It is in stories, and square in its plan; its height is feet. The basement contains, in the west front, a doorway, with an obtusely pointed arch, and a stone window-case of the same form, as well as a small semicircular headed window, the arch turned in brick-work The remaining stories have semicircular arched windows; those of the upper story are repeated on every side of the structure: it is finished with a plain parapet, and on the platform is a small turret, containing a bell; the whole of the turret is faced with a coating of red brick, of the date of , which has been repaired with the modern brick of the period of its reparation in ; the tower itself is evidently older than the period, as pointed windows of lights with mullions, having trefoil heads worked in stone, may still be seen within the modern brick openings in the casing. The original structure was, no doubt, the tower of the cemetery chapel before mentioned; and the church itself, after the repair, probably presented the appearance of a stone building, repaired and faced with brick; this supposition alone accounts for its decay in the course of a century, as the exterior of the present building is certainly not older than the last repair. The interior has much the appearance of a dissenting meeting; it is divided in breadth into aisles by doric columns, raised on plinths, and sustaining an entablature, all of wood. The shafts are now coloured in imitation of yellow, and the rest of the order of veined marble. The ceiling, which rests on these columns, is flat and unornamented. The pulpit, and much of the woodwork, are of the date of ; the altar-screen, which has the commandments, &c. on arched pannels, and is ornamented with pilasters and painted cherubs in the spandrils, is an addition at the last repair; above it are paintings of Moses and Aaron. The font is a circular basin of free-stone, on a single pillar of the same material. In the central eastern window are coats of arms in stained glass, with other detached remains, evidently taken from a mullioned window. Among the arms are those of sir Edward Barkham, the lord mayor at the time of their rebuilding; the city arms, and those of the company of Clothworkers; the former have been removed from another window. The remaining pieces of glass shew the Hebrew name of the Deity, a sun, and also fragments of canopies. The organ was set up in . There are no ancient monuments, but some modern ones, which are merely mural slabs. The church is almost surrounded by a burying-ground, the ancient cemetery of the priory,; in contains, however, no monument of interest.

 
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights