The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

St. Catherine Coleman Church.

St. Catherine Coleman Church.

On the south side of Fenchurch-street, in Church-row, formerly called Magpye-alley, stands the parish church of St. Catherine Coleman, which is so denominated from its dedication to St. Catherine, an Egyptian virgin. It received the addition of Coleman, from a great yard or garden, called, at that time, Coleman-haw, in the parish of the Trinity, afterwards Christ church. It is a rectory of ancient foundation, as appears by John de Hertford being rector in the year 1346. The old church was substantially repaired, and a south aisle added, in 1489, by sir William White, lord mayor of London. It escaped the fire of London, in 1666; but, being much buried by the raising of the street, in 1734, it was pulled down, and the present church was erected at the expense of the parish, under the sanction of an act of parliament, 12 Geo. II. whereby, and by another act passed for the same purpose, the parishioners were enabled to raise money, by annuities, at the rate of eight per cent per annum, and to rate the inhabitants, to pay the said annuities.

This church was originally in the patronage of the dean of St. Martin's-le-Grand, London, and so continued till that religious house, with its appurtenances, was annexed to the abbey of Westminster; after which it fell to the crown, and the advowson was given, by queen Mary, on the 3rd of March, in the first year of her reign, to the bishop of London, and his successors in that see, for ever.

This church is the plainest edifice of this description, perhaps in London; the exterior is entirely concealed from the high street, and has a very humble and unassuming character. At the west end, which is seen from Church row, is a low tower of brick in three stories, and behind this the church finishes pedimentally. The west front of the tower has an entrance, with a rusticated frontispiece of stone in the basement, and also a circular window; in the next story is another window, with an arched head, enclosed in a rusticated architrave of stone. Two similar windows: occupy the north and south sides of the same story; the whole is finished with a parapet. To the basement story of the tower are attached two rooms, with rusticated entrances. The north side of the church has five windows with arched heads, resembling the windows of the tower, and an entrance near the west end. The elevation finishes with a parapet, which, in the centre, rises to a small pediment; the east end and north side are concealed from view: the whole, except the particulars before mentioned, is built of brick. The interior is equally plain; it is built without pillars, and roofed in one span. The ceiling being coved at the sides, the central portion is enriched with bands, forming a large circle, inscribed in a square. The mouth side is lighted by five circular widows. The eastern wall has a large arch in the centre, surmounting a recess, in which is the altar-piece, formed in three compartments, by two Ionic columns supporting their entablature, and a pediment above the centre division; the head of the arch is occupied by a choir of cherubim. The whole of the architectural members are painted in imitation of marble. The pulpit is a heavy piece of workmanship, and with the reading and clerk's desks, is situated on the south side of the centre aisle; a gallery, at the west end of the church, contains an organ. There are several monuments in the church, and the vestibule; but they are not remarkable either for their age or workmanship.

On the south side of , in , formerly called Magpye-alley, stands the parish church of St. Catherine Coleman, which is so denominated from its dedication to St. Catherine, an Egyptian virgin. It received the addition of Coleman, from a great yard or garden, called, at that time, Coleman-haw, in the parish of the Trinity, afterwards . It is a rectory of ancient foundation, as appears by John de Hertford being rector in the year . The old church was substantially repaired, and a south aisle added, in , by sir William White, lord mayor of London. It escaped the fire of London, in ; but, being much buried by the raising of the street, in , it was pulled down, and the present church was erected at the expense of the parish, under the sanction of an act of parliament, Geo. II. whereby, and by another act passed for the same purpose, the parishioners were enabled to raise money, by annuities, at the rate of per cent per annum, and to rate the inhabitants, to pay the said annuities.

This church was originally in the patronage of the dean of , London, and so continued till that religious house, with its appurtenances, was annexed to the abbey of ; after which it fell to the crown, and the advowson was given, by queen Mary, on the , in the year of her reign, to the bishop of London, and his successors in that see, for ever.

This church is the plainest edifice of this description, perhaps in London; the exterior is entirely concealed from the high street, and has a very humble and unassuming character. At the west end, which is seen from , is a low tower of brick in stories, and behind this the church finishes pedimentally. The west front of the tower has an entrance, with a rusticated frontispiece of stone in the basement, and also a circular window; in the next story is another window, with an arched head, enclosed in a rusticated architrave of stone. similar windows: occupy the north and south sides of the same story; the whole is finished with a parapet. To the basement story of the tower are attached rooms, with rusticated entrances. The north side of the church has windows with arched heads, resembling the windows of the tower, and an entrance near the west end. The elevation finishes with a parapet, which, in the centre, rises to a small pediment; the east end and north side are concealed from view: the whole, except the particulars before mentioned, is built of brick. The interior is equally plain; it is built without pillars, and roofed in span. The ceiling being coved at the sides, the central portion is enriched with bands, forming a large circle, inscribed in a square. The

72

mouth side is lighted by circular widows. The eastern wall has a large arch in the centre, surmounting a recess, in which is the altar-piece, formed in compartments, by Ionic columns supporting their entablature, and a pediment above the centre division; the head of the arch is occupied by a choir of cherubim. The whole of the architectural members are painted in imitation of marble. The pulpit is a heavy piece of workmanship, and with the reading and clerk's desks, is situated on the south side of the centre aisle; a gallery, at the west end of the church, contains an organ. There are several monuments in the church, and the vestibule; but they are not remarkable either for their age or workmanship.

 
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights