The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

Watermans' Hall.

Watermans' Hall.

This building formerly stood in Cold Harbour, and was removed into this ward in 1786. It is a neat building, divided into two stories; the basement is rusticated, and consists of an arched window, with two doors, above each of which are relievos; and over the window the arms of the company. The upper story consists of coupled pilasters of the Ionic order: between which is a large window with an arched head, divided into three lights by two attached columns; the whole is finished with a pediment. The hall is on the first floor, and is a handsome room, the ceiling enriched with scrolls, &c. There are some paintings in the room of historical subjects, but only one portrait; it is a half-length, and has above the head Mr. J. Taylor, the water poet. It represents him as being of a fair complexion, with a short beard; his dress is a falling ruff and slashed doublet.This portrait has been engraved at the expence of Mr. Tyrrel of Guildhall-yard.

The mantle-piece is of marble, with a figure of the god Thames, above which are the arms of the company. Over the door of entrance are the royal arms. The master's chair, which is handsomely carved, was given by the rulers in 1800.

Adjoining to the last building is the Fellowship Porters' Hall, a mean erection. In the court-room is a full-length portrait of deputy Kettermaster.

Over the gate of Billingsgate ward schools, St. Mary at Hill, is an alto relievo in two pieces, the upper half contains a representation of our Saviour standing upon clouds, attended by an army of seraphim; bearing in his right hand a banner ensigned with a cross; at his feet the fallen angel, on the lower piece of stone the resurrection is exemplified by various figures rising from the graves. The whole subject is much defaced; some of the figures have lost their heads, and it is highly probable that the sculpture was executed prior to the great fire, which partially damaged this street, and which probably occasioned the partial mutilation the figures have sustained.

Pudding-lane is so called because the butchers of Eastcheap had their scalding-house for hogs there; and their puddings, with ether filth of beasts, were voided down that way to their dung-boats on the Thames. * In this lane it was that the dreadful fire of 1666 began. On the house where this calamity broke out was the following inscription:--

Here, by the permission of heaven, hell brake loose upon this protestant city, from the malicious arts of barbarous papists, by the hand of their agent Hubert, who confessed, and on the ruins of the place declared the fact, for which he was hanged, viz. that here began the dreadful fire which is described and perpetuated on and by the neighbouring pillar, erected anno 1680, in the mayoralty of sir Patience Ward, knt.

At the time Maitland made his survey (i. e. 1756), he says This inscription had been taken away some years.

At the north end of this lane, on the east side, is

This building formerly stood in , and was removed into this ward in . It is a neat building, divided into stories; the basement is rusticated, and consists of an arched window, with doors, above each of which are relievos; and over the window the arms of the company. The upper story consists of coupled pilasters of the Ionic order: between which is a large window with an arched head, divided into lights by attached columns; the whole is finished with a pediment. The hall is on the floor, and is a handsome room, the ceiling enriched with scrolls, &c. There are some paintings in the room of historical subjects, but only portrait; it is a half-length, and has above the head

Mr. J. Taylor, the water poet.

It represents him as being of a fair complexion, with a short beard; his dress is a falling ruff and slashed doublet.

The mantle-piece is of marble, with a figure of the god Thames, above which are the arms of the company. Over the door of entrance are the royal arms. The master's chair, which is handsomely carved, was given by the rulers in .

Adjoining to the last building is the

Fellowship Porters' Hall,

a mean erection. In the court-room is a full-length portrait of deputy Kettermaster.

Over the gate of ward schools, , is an

123

alto relievo in pieces, the upper half contains a representation of our Saviour standing upon clouds, attended by an army of seraphim; bearing in his right hand a banner ensigned with a cross; at his feet the fallen angel, on the lower piece of stone the resurrection is exemplified by various figures rising from the graves. The whole subject is much defaced; some of the figures have lost their heads, and it is highly probable that the sculpture was executed prior to the great fire, which partially damaged this street, and which probably occasioned the partial mutilation the figures have sustained.

is so called

because the butchers of

Eastcheap

had their scalding-house for hogs there; and their puddings, with ether filth of beasts, were voided down that way to their dung-boats on the Thames.

* In this lane it was that the dreadful fire of began. On the house where this calamity broke out was the following inscription:--

Here, by the permission of heaven, hell brake loose upon this protestant city, from the malicious arts of barbarous papists, by the hand of their agent Hubert, who confessed, and on the ruins of the place declared the fact, for which he was hanged, viz. that here began the dreadful fire which is described and perpetuated on and by the neighbouring pillar, erected anno

1680

, in the mayoralty of sir Patience Ward, knt.

At the time Maitland made his survey (i. e. ), he says

This inscription had been taken away some years.

At the north end of this lane, on the east side, is

 
 
Footnotes:

[] This portrait has been engraved at the expence of Mr. Tyrrel of Guildhall-yard.

View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights