The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

Leatherseller's Hall.

Leatherseller's Hall.

Leathersellers Hall 1796, Leathersellers Hall &c., St. Helen's Place.

Ancient Pump, Leathersellers Hall &c., St. Helen's Place.

Ancient Buildings & Chapel, 1796, Leathersellers Hall &c., St. Helen's Place.

This structure was of plain exterior; within an arched entrance was a court with a curious pumpAn engraving of this pump is in Smith's Antiq. of London, 4to, 1791, a copy of which is in the annexed Plate. surmounted with a mermaid much mutilated by time; formerly, on state occasions, this figure spouted two jets of wine from her breasts. On the right of the court, was a flight of thirteen steps, with a portico, consisting of two pillars of the Ionic order, supporting an entablature and statues of Charity and Justice on either side of the company's alms; round the remaining sides of the court was a range of offices with a terrace above them. The hall had three large windows to the court plain. Those on the south side were three in number, and ornamented with keys, borders and small pilasters: above, a frieze and cornice with windows and alternate circular and triangular pediments. The north side had two rows of windows, ornamented as the south side. The interior had one of the most elegant carved screensAn excellent engraving of this screen is in Malcolm's Londinum Red. vol. iii. p. 561. in London, it consisted of attached pillars of the Ionic order, with wreaths, scrolls, basso relievos, &c., above it was a music gallery enriched with termini, &c. The whole was of oak polished. The cieling was enriched with stucco ornaments, and pendants, H. P. the company's arms, crown and thistle, &c. At the upper end of the hall was a statue of Edward VI.

From the hall, a passage led to the council chamber a spacious apartment with a handsome ceiling of of stucco, with the date 1567, E. R., red rose, fleurs de lis, arms, &c. The east end of this room was one vast window, and the chimney ornamented with Doric pillars, and entablature with caryatidae. From this room, there was a Slight of steps to the garden, which was an oblong square with two grass plats, and a few shrubs. At the end of the passage noticed above was a small room, in the corners of the ceilings, of which were some grotesque, and rather indecent figures. Gent's Mag. vol. lxviii. p. 924. The whole edifice was of brick except the porch, and a small portion of the western side of the great hall, which was built of the same materials as the adjacent church. The great hall was erected on the remains of the cloisters of the adjacent priory, the architecture of which was of the pointed order, probably of the thirteenth century, the whole extent was divided by dwarf octagon columns into two aisles, the roof being groined in a plain but strong style. The whole of this which would have existed for ages was wantonly destroyed. in the year 1791, and the present St. Helen's place built.A ground plan of the crypt and ections, elevations, &c. occupy Plate LXIV of that interesting and valuable work, Carter's Ancient Architecture of England. Part I. folio.

On the right of the entrance to the hall from Little St. Helen's was

 

 

 

This structure was of plain exterior; within an arched entrance was a court with a curious pump surmounted with a mermaid much mutilated by time; formerly, on state occasions, this figure spouted jets of wine from her breasts. On the right of the court, was a flight of steps, with a portico, consisting of pillars of the Ionic order, supporting an entablature and statues of Charity and Justice on either side of the company's alms; round the remaining sides of the court was a range of offices with a terrace above them. The hall had large windows to the court plain. Those on the south side were in number, and ornamented with keys, borders and small pilasters: above, a frieze and cornice with windows and alternate circular and triangular pediments. The north side had rows of windows, ornamented as the south side. The interior had of the most elegant carved screens in London, it consisted of attached pillars of the Ionic order, with wreaths, scrolls, basso relievos, &c., above it was a music gallery enriched with termini, &c. The whole was of oak polished. The cieling was enriched with stucco ornaments, and pendants, H. P. the company's arms, crown and thistle, &c. At the upper end of the hall was a statue of Edward VI.

158

 

From the hall, a passage led to the council chamber a spacious apartment with a handsome ceiling of of stucco, with the date , E. R., red rose, fleurs de lis, arms, &c. The east end of this room was vast window, and the chimney ornamented with Doric pillars, and entablature with caryatidae. From this room, there was a Slight of steps to the garden, which was an oblong square with grass plats, and a few shrubs. At the end of the passage noticed above was a small room,

in the corners of the ceilings, of which were some grotesque, and rather indecent figures.

The whole edifice was of brick except the porch, and a small portion of the western side of the great hall, which was built of the same materials as the adjacent church. The great hall was erected on the remains of the cloisters of the adjacent priory, the architecture of which was of the pointed order, probably of the century, the whole extent was divided by dwarf octagon columns into aisles, the roof being groined in a plain but strong style. The whole of this which would have existed for ages was wantonly destroyed. in the year , and the present built.

On the right of the entrance to the hall from Little St. Helen's was

 
 
Footnotes:

[] An engraving of this pump is in Smith's Antiq. of London, 4to, 1791, a copy of which is in the annexed Plate.

[] An excellent engraving of this screen is in Malcolm's Londinum Red. vol. iii. p. 561.

[] Gent's Mag. vol. lxviii. p. 924.

[] A ground plan of the crypt and ections, elevations, &c. occupy Plate LXIV of that interesting and valuable work, Carter's Ancient Architecture of England. Part I. folio.

View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights