The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas
1827

Allhallows Church, Bread-street.

Allhallows Church, Bread-street.

This church received its name from being dedicated to all the saints, and its situation. It is a rectory of very ancient foundation; the patronage of which was originally in the prior and canons of Christ-church in Canterbury, who remained patrons of it till the year 1365, when it was conveyed to the archbishop of Canterbury and his successors, in whom it still continues, and is one of the peculiars belonging to that see in the city of London.

The old church being destroyed by the fire of London in 1666, the present edifice was erected in 1684, at the expense of the public.

This church is situated on the east side of Bread-street, the principal front abutting on that street, and the north front upon Watling street: the plan is parallelogram, with a square tower at the south-west angle comprehended within it. The west front of the church has four arched windows in two series; the key stones of the upper range are carved with cherubs, and the arches are surmounted with cornices resting on consoles. In the lower story of the tower is an entrance surmounted by an elliptical pediment, and above are two circular windows; the next story has an arched window, with festoons of flowers over the head, and the third story has in each face a triple arcade; the arches are sustained upon pilasters, and the key-stones are carved into fierce-looking masks: the elevation is finished with a ballustrade. Over a cornice at the angles, are crocketted pinnacles, whimsically enough borrowed from the pointed style; of which they are, however, poor copies, and show the difficulty of engrafting the detail of one style upon another. The north front of the church is in two heights; the upper has a series of eight windows with arched heads, the keystones carved with cherubs heads, and in the basement story are two entrances; one of which, as well as one of the windows, is walled up. The east wall has no window or opening, except a small door-way at the southern angle. The portions described are all faced with stone. The south side of the church is concealed from view by the houses built against it. The entrance at the west end leads into a vestibule : the breadth of the front part of which is formed in the basement story of the tower; the latter portion has eight semicircular arches and is domed over; from this, by means of two porches, the body of the church is approached; it is very plain, having neither columns nor arches. The ceiling is horizontal, coved at the sides, the covings pierced with arches; above the windows, which rest upon imposts, enriched with acanthus leaves. The centre of the ceiling forms one large pannel encircled with mouldings. The altar is adorned with a screen, bearing the usual inscriptions, and painted in imitation of antique marbles; it consists of a centre and wings, the former enriched with an eliptical pediment sustained on two Corinthian columns, with gilt capitals, and the entablature of the order above the whole; and inclosed in the head of a false arch, formed in the wall, are the royal arms. In the north wall of the church is an arched recess, which contains in its basement the vestry, covered with a gallery. In consequence of this intrusion, two of the windows are converted into circles: the other windows, in number and form, resemble those in the opposite wall of the building. There is also a gallery across the west end of the church, containing the organ; it is singularly enough supported on a single Corinthian pillar in the centre, in the adoption of which, utility seems to have been studied rather than ornament. The pulpit and desks are attached to the north wall. The former is hexagonal and executed in carved oak. The christening pew is situated under the western gallery. The font is a plain octangular basin of white marble, on a pillar of the same form and material. The pewing of this church is rather singularly, but with great attention to propriety, arranged on each side of a broad walk in the centre of the church, leaving an uninterrupted view of the altar. On the doors of the churchwardens' pews are painted the arms of the archbishop and the dean and chapter of Canterbury. This building is 72 feet in length, 35 in breadth, 30in height, and the tower and pinnacles are 86 feet high. The body was erected under the direction of sir Christopher Wren, in 1684, and the steeple in 1697, at the expence of 3,348l. 7s. 2d.

There are no monuments in this church worthy of notice. It is generally believed that the remains of that eminent scholar, sir Isaac Newton, is buried in this church.

This church received its name from being dedicated to all the saints, and its situation. It is a rectory of very ancient foundation; the patronage of which was originally in the prior and canons of Christ-church in Canterbury, who remained patrons of it till the year , when it was conveyed to the archbishop of Canterbury and his successors, in whom it still continues, and is of the peculiars belonging to that see in the city of London.

The old church being destroyed by the fire of London in , the present edifice was erected in , at the expense of the public.

This church is situated on the east side of , the principal front abutting on that street, and the north front upon : the plan is parallelogram, with a square tower at the south-west angle comprehended within it. The west front of the church has arched windows in series; the key stones of the upper range are carved with cherubs, and the arches are surmounted with cornices resting on consoles. In the lower story of the tower is an entrance surmounted by an elliptical pediment, and above are circular windows; the next story has an arched window, with festoons of flowers over the head, and the story has in each face a triple arcade; the arches are sustained upon pilasters, and the key-stones are carved into fierce-looking masks: the elevation is finished with a ballustrade. Over a cornice at the angles, are crocketted pinnacles, whimsically enough borrowed from the pointed style; of which they are, however, poor copies, and show the difficulty of engrafting the detail of style upon another. The north front of the church is in heights; the upper has a series of windows with arched heads, the keystones carved with cherubs heads, and in the basement story are entrances; of which, as well as of the windows, is walled up. The east wall has no window or opening, except a small door-way at the southern angle. The portions described are all faced with stone. The south side of the church is concealed from view by the houses built against it. The entrance at the west end leads into a vestibule : the breadth of the front part of which is formed in the basement story of the tower; the latter portion has semicircular arches and is domed over; from this, by means of porches, the body of the church is approached; it is very plain, having neither columns nor arches. The ceiling is horizontal, coved at the sides, the covings pierced with arches; above the windows, which rest upon imposts, enriched with acanthus

168

leaves. The centre of the ceiling forms large pannel encircled with mouldings. The altar is adorned with a screen, bearing the usual inscriptions, and painted in imitation of antique marbles; it consists of a centre and wings, the former enriched with an eliptical pediment sustained on Corinthian columns, with gilt capitals, and the entablature of the order above the whole; and inclosed in the head of a false arch, formed in the wall, are the royal arms. In the north wall of the church is an arched recess, which contains in its basement the vestry, covered with a gallery. In consequence of this intrusion, of the windows are converted into circles: the other windows, in number and form, resemble those in the opposite wall of the building. There is also a gallery across the west end of the church, containing the organ; it is singularly enough supported on a single Corinthian pillar in the centre, in the adoption of which, utility seems to have been studied rather than ornament. The pulpit and desks are attached to the north wall. The former is hexagonal and executed in carved oak. The christening pew is situated under the western gallery. The font is a plain octangular basin of white marble, on a pillar of the same form and material. The pewing of this church is rather singularly, but with great attention to propriety, arranged on each side of a broad walk in the centre of the church, leaving an uninterrupted view of the altar. On the doors of the churchwardens' pews are painted the arms of the archbishop and the dean and chapter of Canterbury. This building is feet in length, in breadth, in height, and the tower and pinnacles are feet high. The body was erected under the direction of sir Christopher Wren, in , and the steeple in , at the expence of

There are no monuments in this church worthy of notice. It is generally believed that the remains of that eminent scholar, sir Isaac Newton, is buried in this church.

 
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
collapseCHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
collapseCHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
collapseCHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
collapseCHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
collapseCHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
collapseCHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
collapseCHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
collapseCHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
collapseCHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
collapseCHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
collapseCHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
collapseCHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44306
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00068
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights