History of Tufts College, 1854-1896Start, Alaric Bertrand
LEO R. LEWIS, A. M.
LEO RICH LEWIS was born in Woodstock, Vermont, February 11, 1865. At that time his father, the Rev. J. J. Lewis, was Principal of the Green Mountain Liberal Institute, but in 1867 moved with his family to South Boston, where he resided until 1893. His son received an exceptionally thorough preparatory education in the Boston schools, graduating from the Lincoln Grammar School in 1876, from the English High School in 1879, and from the Latin School in 1883. In the Fall of '83 he entered Tufts, and graduated in 1887.
While in college Mr. Lewis played for one season on the base-ball team, and was Exchange Editor of the " Tuftonian "
|for one year. He was very active in the re-organization of the Glee Club, which gave its first concert in the old Chapel in Ballou Hall in the Spring of 1886. He took the Freshmen Mathematical Prize, one first and one second Rhetorical Prize, and was Class Orator.|
After his graduation from Tufts, Mr. Lewis studied for two years at Harvard, taking first the degree of A. B., and then that of A. M. with highest honors in Music. While at Harvard he composed a piece for a male chorus and orchestra, which was given by the Harvard Glee Club and Pierian Sodality. His thesis, for a string quartette, was also performed. In July, 1889, he sailed for Europe, and after travelling for some time on the Continent settled in Munich, where he remained until August, 1892, studying Music and the Languages. While established at Munich he made several continental excursions, including one to Italy and three to Paris. On July 15, 1892, he received a diploma from the School of Music at Munich, with Honorable Mention in Composition.
Immediately upon his return from abroad Mr. Lewis began work at Tufts, where he had received the appointment of Instructor in French.
On December 21, 1892, he was married to Miss Carrie Nichols Bullard, daughter of Mr. Gardner W. Bullard, of Brookline, Massachusetts. Their baby boy came into the world on Commencement Day, 1895.
Music has always been Mr. Lewis's engrossing interest. During his college course he was the leading spirit in the Glee Club, and since his return to the Hill he has devoted himself energetically to its training. The results of his labors the public has seen in the fine work of the club during the past three years. He has also written and arranged several selections for the club, his name being especially identified with the "P. T. Barnum Song" and "Charlie's Light." While still in college he published a few songs and
|hymns, and several operettas and short cantatas for children. While in Munich he edited the Zeta Psi Song Book, published in January, 1891. Since his return to this country he has published a sonata for violin and piano, and a short cantata entitled "The Consolation of Music." He edited numbers 1 and 2 of the "National School Library of Song," and was Musical Editor of "Church Harmonies New and Old," published in 1895.|
In the Summer of 1895 the chair of the History and Theory of Music was instituted at Tufts, and was at once offered to Mr. Lewis. He is giving two courses in that department during the present year, while still retaining charge of a large part of the work in French.
Professor Lewis was one of the organizers of the Twentieth Century Club, and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Published by the Class of 1897. The original contains appendices with a directory of alumni, the college catalog, and the college charter. These were not included in this addition.
- This object is in collection:
- Digital Collections and Archives records
- Permanent URL