History of Tufts College, 1854-1896Start, Alaric Bertrand
FRANK E. SANBORN, S. B.
FRANK E. SANBORN was born in Boston, Massachusetts, August 25, 1866. His ancestors were among the earliest settlers of Massachusetts, and the family has always resided in the vicinity of Boston. He attended the public schools of the city, graduating from the Latin School in 1885. He passed the examinations for Harvard, but finally decided to enter the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Here he pursued the course in Mechanical Engineering, graduating in 1889.
Mr. Sanborn remained at the Institute for one year as
|Assistant in Mechanical Engineering, and then accepted an instructorship at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York. After teaching there for one year he received the appointment of Walker Special Instructor in Mathematics at Tufts. When the term of this appointment expired in 1894, he was made Instructor in Mechanical Engineering.|
Before coming to Tufts Mr. Sanborn gave the college the benefit of his skill with the pencil by furnishing nearly all the illustrations for the "Brown and Blue" issued by the Class of '91. During the Summer of 1892 he was engaged on special drafting work in the office of Frederick S. Pearson, '83, in connection with the Brooklyn Power Station. He attended the World's Fair early in the following summer, and then spent the remainder of the season in travelling through the Northwest with Henry B. Stone. Mr. Sanborn delivered an illustrated lecture entitled "To and Fro in the White City."
From his earliest years, Mr. Sanborn has been a member of the Shawmut Universalist Church, -now the "Every-Day Church." At one time he was President of the Young People's Christian Union, and he is at present Assistant Superintendent of the Sunday School and Chairman of the Standing Committee. He has been, and is, very prominent in humanitarian work. He was one of the principal initiators of the movement which resulted in the establishment of a Boys' Club Association by the Universalist young people of Boston and vicinity. The first club was started under his presidency during the Winter of 1893-94, on Portland Street, Boston. He has also done work of the same sort on behalf of the "Every-Day Church."
In 1891 he was initiated into the Theta Delta Chi Fraternity by the Kappa Charge. He is also a member of the Universalist Club, and of the Joseph Warren Lodge of Masons.
Published by the Class of 1897. The original contains appendices with a directory of alumni, the college catalog, and the college charter. These were not included in this addition.
- This object is in collection:
- Digital Collections and Archives records
- Permanent URL