History of Tufts College, 1854-1896Start, Alaric Bertrand
GEORGE H. FURBISH.
GEORGE HARTLEY FURBISH is the son of the master carpenter of the Portsmouth Navy Yard, and was born in Eliott, Maine, February 18, 1863. He attended the public schools until he was fifteen years of age, when the family moved to Dover, New Hampshire, where he worked at black-smithing until he was twenty-one.
He was married September 28, 1884, and came to Boston in the following May. He spent some time in the employ of his brother in Cambridge, but the major part of the next five years was spent in pattern and foundry work.
In 1889 Mr. Furbish accepted an instructorship in pattern work and moulding in the Cambridge Manual Training School, where he remained until January, 1893, when he came to Tufts as Superintendent of shops, and Teacher of Wood and Foundry Work in the Bromfield-Pearson School.
Mr. Furbish has his home in West Somerville, not far from the college.
Published by the Class of 1897. The original contains appendices with a directory of alumni, the college catalog, and the college charter. These were not included in this addition.
- This object is in collection:
- Digital Collections and Archives records
- Permanent URL