History of Tufts College, 1854-1896Start, Alaric Bertrand
ERNEST W. CUSHING, A. B., M. D.
ERNEST WATSON CUSHING was born in Boston, January 17, 1847, his ancestors having been among the earliest settlers of the colony.
He received the degree of A. B. from Harvard in 1867, and that of M. D. from the New York College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1871. He served the next year as Interne in the Bellevue Hospital, and then studied for two years in Europe; after which he established himself in Boston, where from 1876 to 1884 he was physician to the department of throat diseases in the City Hospital.
In 1885 he again visited Europe, where he devoted a year to special studies in bacteriology, diseases of women, and antiseptic surgery.
Returning to Boston he devoted himself to special practice, and in 1886 was appointed Surgeon of the Free Surgical Hospital for Women. In 1887 he founded the journal first called the "Annals of Gynæcology " but now known as the "Annals of Gynæcology and Pediatry." In 1890 he was appointed Surgeon to the Women's Charity Club Hospital, for which institution a new building was erected from his designs in 1892. Dr. Cushing was Secretary of the Section for Gynæcology of the American Medical Association in 1887, and filled the same office at the ninth International Medical Congress in the same year. In 1890 he served as a delegate to the tenth International Congress at Berlin, where he acted as Secretary of the Section of Obstetrics and Gynæcology. He has translated and published "Pathology and Therapeutics of Diseases of Women," by A. Martin of Berlin, and has also contributed a large number of valuable papers to the leading periodicals of this country and Europe.
Dr. Cushing received his appointment as Professor of Gynæcology at Tufts in 1894. He is at present located at 168 Newbury Street, Boston.
Published by the Class of 1897. The original contains appendices with a directory of alumni, the college catalog, and the college charter. These were not included in this addition.
- This object is in collection:
- Digital Collections and Archives records
- Permanent URL