THE DELTA TAU DELTA FRATERNITY AND THE BETA MU CHAPTER.
THE Delta Tau Delta Fraternity was founded in 1859 at
Bethany College to lead the opposition to the strong
influence in college affairs exerted by the chapter of Phi
Kappa Psi. It soon accomplished its first purpose and in a
short time established chapters in Jefferson College, West
Liberty College, and Morgantown Academy.
Scarcely had this work been accomplished, when the opening of the Civil War caused all of these colleges, except Jefferson, to close their doors, the students, for the most part,
entering the armies that struggled for the possession of the
country. Jefferson, being outside the seat of war, was spared,
and as the parent chapter had ceased to exist, the Jefferson
chapter assumed charge of the affairs of the Fraternity. The
next ten years were marked by vigorous growth, and considering that this period covered the years of the Civil War, which
so seriously crippled so many of the educational institutions
of the country, the progress was quite satisfactory.
The second decade was begun under the reign of Chapter
Mu at Ohio Wesleyan, whose sway lasted from 1869 to 1874.
During this time the Fraternity made rapid strides and established chapters in nearly all the leading educational institutions in the North Central States.
In 1874 the government was intrusted to Alpha at Alleghany, which continued to administer the affairs of the Fraternity until 1883, when a new constitution was adopted, which
unified the government and vested the chief authority in a
representative body called the Arch Chapter. Since this time
the prosperity of the Fraternity has had no break, and it has
won a name and place for itself among the leading scholastic
fraternities of the land. In 1886 the southern fraternity
known as the Rainbow or W. W. W. Society was united with
Delta Tau Delta.
The interests of Delta Tau Delta have been ably furthered
by the publication of its magazine. This was commenced as
a monthly in 1877, under the direction of W. C. Buchanan.
It was called the Crescent from one of the emblems of the
Fraternity. After the first volume, it was published by
Alpha until 1884, since which time it has been under the care
of the Arch Chapter. In 1886 the name was changed to
"The Rainbow" in honor of the fraternity of that name
which allied itself with Delta Tau at this time. The Fraternity has published five editions of its catalogue. With the
exception of the last which was published by Rho in 1885, the
chapter in chief authority has issued the catalogue.
In the Spring of 1889, Beta Mu, the branch of Delta Tau
Delta at Tufts College, was founded by the efforts of Elmer
J. Felt, D. S., '91, who had been a member of the Fraternity at
Buchtel. Early in its career it occupied rooms at Medford
Hillside, but in March, 1893, it opened the first chapter-house
on the Hill. At the opening of the college year of 1895, Beta
Mu moved to its present quarters on Curtis Street.
Beta Mu has generously supported all college interests,
both by the active participation of her members and by her
influence. She has kept before the eyes of her members the
principle that affection for their Fraternity brings loyalty to
their Alma Mater. She has constantly aimed to gather as her
members the best types of college men, and by steady adherence to this principle, she has won the respect and esteem of
the fraternities with which she is in friendly rivalry.
DELTA TAU DELTA:FOUNDED AT BETHANY COLLEGE IN 1859.
Grand Division of the South.
PiUniversity of Mississippi1848
Beta DeltaUniversity of Georgia1882
Beta EpsilonEmory College1882
Beta ThetaUniversity of the South1883
Beta IotaUniversity of Virginia1888
Beta XiTulane University1889
Grand Division of the West.
OmicronUniversity of Iowa1880
Beta GammaUniversity of Wisconsin1892
Beta EtaUniversity of Minnesota1883
Beta KappaUniversity of Colorado1883
Beta PiNorthwestern University1892
Beta RhoLeland Stanford, Jr., University1893
Beta TauUniversity of Nebraska1893
Beta UpsilonUniversity of Illinois1894
Grand Division of the North.
DeltaUniversity of Michigan1875
IotaMichigan Agricultural College1872
MuOhio Wesleyan University1866
Beta AlphaIndiana University1870
Beta BetaDe Pauw University1871
Beta ZetaButler University1875
Beta PhiOhio State University1894
Beta PsiWabash College1894
Grand Division of the East
GammaWashington and Jefferson College1861
RhoStevens Institute of Technology1874
TauFranklin and Marshall College1874
UpsilonRensselaer Polytechnic Institute1879
Beta LambdaLehigh University1874
Beta MuTufts College1889
Beta NuMass. Institute Technology1889
Beta OmicronCornell University1890
THE SOCIETY OF THE ALUMNI.
New YorkAlumni Chapter.
DELTA TAU DELTA, CHAPTER BETA MU: ESTABLISHED IN 1889.
HARRY LEE CANFIELD, D. S., '86,
Instructor HARRY GRAY CHASE, '93,
Instructor CHARLES ST. C. WADE, '94,
Instructor CHARLES C. STROUD, '94,
VIRGIL L. LEIGHTON, '94,
FRED D. LAMBERT, '94,
HERBERT E. BENTON, D. S., '94,
WILLIAM R. WHITEHORNE, '95.
CLASS OF 1896.
GEORGE A. BROTHERS,
RALPH H. CHEEVER,
J. NASH IVES,
SYDNEY B. JOHNSON,
J. ALBERT STOVER.
CLASS OF 1897.
ROLLA E. HEALEY,
GEORGE W. HILL,
CHARLES B. GREEN,
WARREN S. PARKS.
CLASS OF 1898.
JOHN A. COUSENS,
GEORGE E. DANIELS,
SIMEON C. SMITH.
CLASS OF 1899.
CHARLES A. BEAN,
HARRY W. CLOUGH,
FRANK C. JACOBS,
ARTHUR B. WHITNEY.