History of Tufts College, 1854-1896

Start, Alaric Bertrand
1896

ARTHUR M. COMEY, PH.D.

ARTHUR M. COMEY, PH.D.

ARTHUR MESSINGER COMEY was born in Boston, November 10, 1861. He received his early education in the schools of Quincy, Massachusetts, and prepared for college at Adams Academy. In 1878 he entered Harvard, graduating with honors four years later.

His principal work at Cambridge had been in the department of chemistry, and after his graduation he spent nearly a year at Tufts as assistant to Professor Michael. In August, 1883, he sailed for Europe and studied for a time at the Polytechnikum in Zurich. Forced by illness to give up study for a time, he went to Nice for rest and recuperation. Early in the following spring he went to Heidelberg, where he studied for a year with Professor Bunsen, taking the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, in February, 1885. Dr. Comey's diploma was the last to be sealed with the original seal of the University.

Returning to this country, Dr. Comey was at once appointed Professor pro tem, and later regular Professor in the University of Vermont, but he soon resigned this position to accept an instructorship at Harvard. There he had charge of the Chemical department of the summer school for four years. In the summer of 1889 he was appointed to the chair of Chemistry in Tufts College, and accepted the position, serving until 1894, when he resigned to pursue special investigation in a laboratory in Cambridge.

Dr. Comey has contributed many articles to the "Berichte der Deutschen Chemischen Gesellschaft," the "American Chemical Journal," and "The Proceedings of the American Academy." He has also compiled a dictionary of chemical solubilities for the Smithsonian Institute. He was made a member of the German Chemical Society in 1883, and a Fellow of the American Academy in 1890. David L. Maulsby J. Sterling Kingsley

ARTHUR MESSINGER COMEY was born in Boston, November 10, 1861. He received his early education in the schools of Quincy, Massachusetts, and prepared for college at Adams Academy. In 1878 he entered Harvard, graduating with honors four years later.

His principal work at Cambridge had been in the department of chemistry, and after his graduation he spent nearly

136

a year at Tufts as assistant to Professor Michael. In August, 1883, he sailed for Europe and studied for a time at the Polytechnikum in Zurich. Forced by illness to give up study for a time, he went to Nice for rest and recuperation. Early in the following spring he went to Heidelberg, where he studied for a year with Professor Bunsen, taking the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, in February, 1885. Dr. Comey's diploma was the last to be sealed with the original seal of the University.

Returning to this country, Dr. Comey was at once appointed Professor pro tem, and later regular Professor in the University of Vermont, but he soon resigned this position to accept an instructorship at Harvard. There he had charge of the Chemical department of the summer school for four years. In the summer of 1889 he was appointed to the chair of Chemistry in Tufts College, and accepted the position, serving until 1894, when he resigned to pursue special investigation in a laboratory in Cambridge.

Dr. Comey has contributed many articles to the "Berichte der Deutschen Chemischen Gesellschaft," the "American Chemical Journal," and "The Proceedings of the American Academy." He has also compiled a dictionary of chemical solubilities for the Smithsonian Institute. He was made a member of the German Chemical Society in 1883, and a Fellow of the American Academy in 1890.

 
 
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 PREFACE.
collapseHISTORICAL NARRATIVE
collapseBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF THE FACULTY OF THE COLLEGE OF LETTERS
collapseBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF THE FACULTY OF THE DIVINITY SCHOOL
collapseBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF THE FACULTY OF THE MEDICAL SCHOOL.
collapseFRATERNITIES,REPRESENTED AT TUFTS COLLEGE, IN THE ORDER OF THEIR ESTABLISHMENT.
collapseTRUSTEES AND OTHER OFFICERS

Published by the Class of 1897. The original contains appendices with a directory of alumni, the college catalog, and the college charter. These were not included in this addition.

This object is in collection:
Digital Collections and Archives records
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14803
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00091
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights